How to plan for Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2016 at 21:01:45 #808815

Hey Guys! I made it to Switzerland! Just arrived today! Spent a day in Zurich, Tomorrow going to Lucerne and need a few tips! Once in Lucerne how can I get to Mt. Titilis and Mt. Pliatus? Just going to be in Lucerne for one day and a half so I was wondering If Can I do both? I have a Swiss Rail pass for 4 days and hope to get 50% discount. How much would I spend there? Next day going to Interlaken, Which train should I take to Interlaken? Golden pass? Once in Interlaken can I go back straight to Zurich airport? Hope to hear from you again and thanks for making this dream come true way much easier!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2016 at 6:35:40 #850319

Hi,

From Luzern you need to take a train to Engelberg (timetable on http://www.sbb.ch/en), from Engelberg you walk down to Engelberg Talstation and purchase tickets to Titlis. The cable cars will take you through Trubsee, Stand and finally to Klein Titlis. Entire return ticket costs CHF 89 but with your Swiss Travel Pass you get a 50% discount costing you CHF 44.50. At Titlis, you also have the Chairlift to the Glacier cave, return ticket for which costs CHF 12 (no discounts). So total will cost you CHF 56.50

The Golden Pass is a route and not specific train. The Panoramic coaches run between Zweissimen and Montreaux (atleast from what I have seen) but perhaps Arno / Annika can tell this better). Yes you can take a train from Interlaken West to Zurich Airport OR Zurich HB station and you need to change trains at Bern (on a minimum). Based on your departure time, you might have to make 2 changes at Spiez and Bern. But I did not find any direct trains. Note that this is from Interlaken West station and not the OST.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 April 2016 at 8:15:07 #850320

Hi oaapvanila,

You have arrived so let the fun begin 🙂 In addition to sskundu’s help here’s a few links that explain all details about what you plan to do. Any direct train from Lucerne to Interlaken takes the northern section of the Golden Pass route, so it doesn’t matter which one you take.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 6:00:43 #850321

Couldnt make it to Pilatus since its been so cloudy but rather to go to Rigi by boat! I was not expecting taking a bout since its still Low season but it was great! Now going to Titilis! On the afternoon going to Interlaken, and have half a day extra before going back to Zurich airport. Any suggestion what to do in Interlaken in half a day? How long is from Interlaken to Zurich airport? Flight departs at 9pm. So I feel we can still take advantage of half of a dat in Interlaken.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2016 at 14:55:13 #850322

Good to hear you’re having a great time! Please see the timetable for the Interlaken to Zurich journey. I would not stay in Interlaken for half a day but rather travel to Mürren or Kleine Scheidegg for the views. Check the timetable for that as well. More suggestions are here: myswissalps.com/ interlaken/ activities.

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    8 April 2016 at 15:51:49 #850323

Hello

Will a child with family card ride free in Titlis and the chairlift?

Udayaditya

Annika
    7125 posts
    8 April 2016 at 18:54:06 #850324

Hi Udayaditya,

Children get to go to Mount Titlis for free. The Ice Flyer chairlift is not free. Perhaps they’ll get a discount on the fare of CHF 12, I’m not sure.

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    9 April 2016 at 9:12:42 #850325

Hello Annika

How to search for my threads or look for my questions posted in threds of other guys in this forum? I often cant find my own questions!!

Udayaditya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 9:25:08 #850326

Hi Udaya,

Once you have logged in to the site, on the top right corner click on “My Account” tab. On the my account page, scroll to the middle-bottom, below the profile pic and “about me” section you will see your “PUBLIC PROFILE” url. Click on that and you should see all your forum questions on the page that opens.

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    9 April 2016 at 10:29:07 #850327

Thanx SS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 18:23:49 #850328

How much time it takes from Engelberg to Titlis and return. If we start at 12:00 noon from Lucerne is it ok. We will be there in June.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2016 at 21:14:35 #850329

If you are at Engelberg station by 12pm, then you can take the Gondola and Cablecar for 12:03pm to Kleintitlis. The journey is in 3 parts : Engelberg Talstation to Trubsee, Trubsee to Stand and Stand to Kleintitlis. This takes 34 mins. At Titlis, you have the option to do the Chairlift upto the Glacier Cave, where you can spend time in the park. I guess going by 12pm is doable but to enjoy more time up there you should leave by 10am or 11am.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2016 at 3:43:33 #850330

Thanks this will surely be helpful

• The thread ‘How to plan for Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.