Why use a car train?
If pass roads are closed, or if you simply prefer not to drive on passes, car trains are a great way to get the car and passengers to the other side of the mountain. You drive your car on the train and either stay seated or sit in a passenger's coach (it varies per route). Some car trains have to be booked in advance. Others work like toll tunnels: you simply show up, pay, and drive on to the train.
Car trains in Switzerland
- Lötschberg car train from Kandersteg to Goppenstein. Reservations are not necessary. There is no alternative road.
- Vereina car train from Selfranga (Klosters) to Saglians (Lower Engadine). Reservations are not necessary. An alternative is the Flüela Pass road.
- Furka car train from Oberwald to Realp (near Andermatt). An alternative is the Furka Pass road.
- Oberalp car train from Andermatt to Sedrun. An alternative is the Oberalp Pass road.
- Car train from Kandersteg to Iselle (Italy). There is no alternative road.
- Car train from Brig to Iselle (Italy). An alternative is the Simplon Pass road.