Hiking options from Zurich/Geneva (with public transport) in late May

• Ohman_91
    Participant
    65 posts
    24 March 2024 at 14:15:10 #1310974

Hello,

Would someone be able to suggest a good hiking area in the end of May? Just day hikes anything between 2-7 hours. Needs to be accessible with public transport from Zurich or Geneve.

Hikes anything from 1000-2000 metres and maybe a hike to a nice mountain lake would be nice.

I of course understand that this early in the season, some places are still covered in snow. That’s why I’m asking here if someone has anything to suggest.

I’ve been to the below places already, so I’m looking for something else.

Jungfrau region/Interlaken, Lucerne, Brunnen/Stoos, Zermatt, Aletsch arena, Lugano, Oeschinensee, Glarus, Seealpsee, Brienz.

Maybe it’s not much that is available this period, but I’m open for all suggestions 🙂

Kind regards,

Jonas

• Anna
    6390 posts
    25 March 2024 at 11:16:25 #1311026

Hi Jonas,

If you’re based in Geneva, you can easily do a day trip to Montreux and take the cogtrain up to Rochers-de-Naye (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/rochers-de-naye/). The are numerous trails at the top and should already be accessible by end of May. Also, I recommend hiking through the Lavaux vineyards (https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-lutry-epesses/). There are also various trails along the GoldenPass route between Montreux and Zweisimmen (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/goldenpass/#directions). You could travel on the GoldenPass train and just hop and hop off along the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Ohman_91
    Participant
    65 posts
    9 April 2024 at 8:32:18 #1378545

Hi Anna,

Thank you for the tip! I am definitely considering Geneva and then going to Montreux and also over to Annecy.

Would there be any kind of nice, quite easy accessible startingpoint for a hike, on around 1500-2000 meter or maybe to a nice hidden lake in the areas of Montreux/Lausanne etc? 🙂

I would be happy if it would only be one hike that is a little more challenging.

Just so that I can get to a startingpoint with train or bus, and then I can hike my way up to a summit or to a nice smaller mountain lake for example.

Kind regards,

Jonas

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 16:46:44 #1395403

Hello Jonas,

Within our hiking section, if you scroll to “Other websites of interest”, there’s an official Swiss hiking website:

I’d research the following as possibilities, they all would require a commute by train:

• La Dent de Jaman (1h 15 by train from Montreux)
    • La Tine de Conflens (25 minutes by train from Lausanne)

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.