What is Rochers-de-Naye?
Rochers-de-Naye is a viewpoint at 1968 m altitude in the mountains north of Montreux on Lake Geneva. It's in the canton of Vaud in south-western Switzerland. You can reach this mountain by a scenic 50-minute ride in an electric cogwheel train from Montreux.
The top station has several restaurants and terraces with panoramic views over Lake Geneva, an alpine garden, a small marmot zoo, and plenty of hiking trails. In winter 'Santa's Home' is located at the top, as an addition to the famous Christmas market of Montreux.
Prices, tickets and reservations
Rochers-de-Naye cogwheel train prices 2024
|Price||More information and prices||Description|
|CHF 27.60||more info||Return trip with a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex|
|CHF 36.40||more info||Return trip with a Swiss Half Fare Card|
|CHF 0||more info||Return trip with a Regional-Pass Lake Geneva-Alps|
|CHF 72.80||more info||Return trip with a normal ticket, full fare|
Where to buy your Rochers-de-Naye tickets
You can get your tickets online or at any staffed railway station in Switzerland.
You don't need reservations. Just show up with your valid ticket or pass and board the train to Rochers-de-Naye at your preferred departure time.
Find tickets for Rochers-de-Naye
Offered by Viator: www.viator.com
- Easy, online, free cancellation in most cases
- Lowest Price Guarantee: Viator will refund the difference if you find a better price.
- Extra Support: if you buy here, MySwissAlps can also assist if you have questions about your order.
Offered by Official SBB shop: switzerlandtravelcentre.com
- Official webshop of the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB), operated by Switzerland Travel Centre (STC)
- Instant delivery through e-mail in 5 minutes
- Free cancellation until 1 day before travel, if you choose the FLEX OPTION. No questions asked.
- Extra Support: MySwissAlps can answer most questions regarding your order as well.
Offered by MySwissAlps: www.myswissalps.com
- Offer from one of our best partners.
- Extra Support: MySwissAlps can assist if you have questions about your order.
There are currently no promotions available.
Discounted train tickets with your rail pass
The below rail passes offer discounts or even free traveling to Rochers-de-Naye.
|Regional Pass Lake Geneva-Alps||
|Saver Day Pass||
|Swiss Half Fare Card||
|Swiss Travel Pass||
Montreux to Haut-de-Caux (train): free.
|Swiss Travel Pass Flex||
Montreux to Haut-de-Caux (train): free.
How to reach Rochers-de-Naye: directions and map
Getting to Montreux
The cogwheel train to Rochers-de-Naye departs from the rail station in Montreux. Montreux can be reached by train, car or boat as described here.
Duration of the train ride
A single ride between Montreux and Rochers-de-Naye takes about 50 minutes.
From Montreux to Glion
Once the train has departed from the station in Montreux, it immediately enters a tunnel and starts climbing. After about 15 minutes the train will reach the village of Glion, 300 m above Montreux. This is where the first steam trains to Rochers-de-Naye departed in 1892.
From Glion to Rochers-de-Naye
Soon after Glion the train leaves the urbanized areas of Montreux and enters the forested slopes. There are several stops along the way. After La Perche, it's just five more minutes and two tunnels before the train reaches Rochers-de-Naye.
Stops on request
Many of the mid-stations between Montreux and Rochers-de-Naye are so-called 'stops on request'. Find out how they work here.
The route to Rochers-de-Naye on a map
Operation dates, schedules and timetable
When is Rochers-de-Naye accessible?
The trains operate all year, on an hourly basis. They depart from Montreux from about 08:20 until 17:20. The last descent from Rochers-de-Naye takes place around 18:15.
Planning your trip in the timetable
If you plan your trip to Rochers-de-Naye with the Swiss timetable, use these names:
- "Rochers-de-Naye" is the top cogwheel train station.
- "Montreux" is the railway station from which the trains to Rochers-de-Naye depart.
- There are many mid-stations. "Glion", "Glion-Alpes" and "Haut-de-Caux" are just a few examples. You'll find a complete overview in the timetable.
Best months for Rochers-de-Naye
An excursion to Rochers-de-Naye is best in early January to late February, early April to late October and early December to late December. Although the mountain can be reached all year round, we prefer these seasons for these reasons:
- The hiking trails from Rochers-de-Naye and the stations along the railway track are most suitable for spring, summer, and fall.
- December is an exciting time to visit the Montreux Christmas market and "Santa's Home" at Rochers-de-Naye.
- January and February offer the best chances of snow.
Snow on Rochers-de-Naye in winter isn't entirely guaranteed. But in clear weather, you'll have great views of the snow-capped mountains.
Weather tips and forecasts
Always check the weather forecast before going up to Rochers-de-Naye. You need clear skies for the best views over Lake Geneva and the mountain ranges in the north and east.
Favorable forecasts are very important for hiking trips as well: rain, fog, snow or thunderstorms can cause dangerous circumstances.
Rochers-de-Naye: 5-day forecast
What to see and do at the top
The views from Rochers-de-Naye
The train station at Rochers-de-Naye is located at an altitude of 1968 m. In summer, you can walk to the observation platform at 2042 m. If the weather is good you’ll be able to see a large part of Lake Geneva. There are gentle hills and plains toward Geneva in the south-west, and the higher peaks towering over the Rhone Valley toward the east.
The restaurants at the top
Two restaurants at Rochers-de-Naye allow you to have a drink and bite while enjoying the panorama:
- Restaurant ‘Plein Ciel’ is located within in the rocks and offers a panoramic view of Lake Geneva. It can be reached through a pedestrian tunnel.
- The ‘Alpin’ restaurant, next to the train station, offers a view of the Swiss and French Alps.
More to see and do around Rochers-de-Naye
- In summer there’s a small animal park called ‘Marmots’ Paradise’ where different kinds of mountain marmots can be viewed up close.
- From June to September, you can enjoy all sorts of beautiful flowers free of charge in the alpine garden ‘la Rambertia’.
- In May and June, endless seas of daffodils grow in the fields near mid-station Caux.
- Rochers-de-Naye is an excellent start or end point of several beautiful hiking routes, for example from Les Cases.
- From May to October (dependent on weather conditions), a via ferrata is accessible.
How long does the trip to Rochers-de-Naye take?
An excursion to Rochers-de-Naye takes about 3 hours from Montreux, assuming you spend about an hour at the top. This can be much longer if you take your time in the restaurants or plan a hike.
What’s the best side of the train to sit on?
There’s no major difference. The train constantly twists and turns, so you’ll have good views from both sides. The highlight of the trip in our opinion is the last section between La Perche and the top. As this is at a mountain ridge, you’ll have unobstructed sights from either side of the train.
Which clothes to wear to Rochers-de-Naye?
Dress in multiple thinner layers, as it’s colder at the top than down in Montreux. Take along sunglasses, and add a scarf, hat, and warm jacket if you visit in winter.
Solid shoes help if you plan to walk around a bit, and they’re a must if you plan to hike.
What more can I do on the same day?
Can I ski or sledge at Rochers-de-Naye?
In favorable snow conditions, you can use a couple ski lifts near the top station, as well as winter hiking routes from several stations along the route to Rochers-de-Naye. The top isn’t very high to Swiss standards, so snow can’t be fully guaranteed.
Other websites of interest
- www.mob.ch: Rochers-de-Naye restaurants
- www.mob.ch: Rochers-de-Naye via ferrata
- www.rambertia.com: alpine garden "la Rambertia"
- www.montreuxriviera.com: daffodil hiking trail "Narcissus path" from Caux
- www.montreuxriviera.com: winter activities around Rochers-de-Naye
- www.switzerlandtravelcentre.com: Rochers-de-Naye ticket prices
- www.mob.ch: Rochers-de-Naye ticket prices