How to plan my 10 days trip in Switzerland

• Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    27 June 2019 at 6:08:10 #916143

INR 150,000 includes flight

booking.com

I am not sure about day trip to Lugano but a day trip from Lucerne may be possible. Other forum members to comment

No idea about St Mortiz

Arno
    15496 posts
    27 June 2019 at 14:15:32 #916144

Hi M,

Please see here for apartments: http://www.myswissalps.com/re ntals. To keep an eye on Swiss Travel Pass prices and promotions, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Lugano itself can be seen in a day, but not the whole area. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano. The same applies to St. Moritz, and actually the town itself is not a major highlight. The surrounding area is stunning and you can stay there for weeks without doing the same thing twice. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz.

Your question about bases can only be answered when you have a rough itinerary. Keep in mind that you can’t see it all, regardless of how long you go. Well, in a year you may be can see it all 🙂 Just pick a few things you really want to see, and shape your itinerary around that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 June 2019 at 14:29:55 #916145

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the information.

Now that I am going through the reports, I am getting a hint that I should skip St. Moritz as it is little far to cover now.

Please let me know if my plan is wrong. if I plan to Lugano from Lucerne early morning and cover few places like Lake and leave to Zermatt from Lugano around 2 or 3pm [Route : Lugano – Giubiasco – Locarno – Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt ], will that be ok? Is that possible?

I will prepare an itinerary in couple of days and post it in new thread. Thank you so much once again 🙂

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 June 2019 at 14:42:45 #916146

Hi Mahima,

Please use http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable to check out the timetable and the travel times between any locations. This website will show you shortest/fastest routes for all means of transport including train, bus, boat, cable car. You will be able to find out the “doable” itineraries yourself.

For the route you gave, The travel time from Lucern to Zermatt via Lugano itslef is 8 hours + which his not practical.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 June 2019 at 14:48:11 #916147

Hi Rohan,

Oh Thank you for the links..

I planned this was by thinking that we could take train from Lucern to Lugano at 6.20 am which would reach to Lugano around 8.30 am. Thought of sight seeing for 5 hours and start to Zermatt at 2.30 via mentioned route which would reach Zermatte around evening 8 pm.

Is that a rush plan?

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 June 2019 at 15:00:57 #916148

🙂 again.. its difficult to answer without getting the larger picture of your itinerary.

we don’t know whats your base on that day ? do you plan to stay at Zermatt ? whats your plan for the previous and next day

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 June 2019 at 16:28:52 #916149

Oh ok… then please give me 2 to 3 days.. i will plan and post here..

Then please review it..

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 5:54:34 #916150

Hi All,

I have made a rough itinerary for either 9 or 10 days. Please review it and let me know your opinions.

Land to Zurich in the evening and rest

Day1:

1. Rhine Falls

2. Local sight seeing of Zurich : Lake Zurich, Town Center

[Please provide if there is anything that i need to cover in Zurich as sight seeing]

3. Evevning travel to Lucerne and stay

Day2:

1. Mount Titlis:

a. Cable Car ride

b. Ice Flyer

c. Glacier Cave walk

d. Cliff walk

2. Lucerne Sight seeing in the evening :

a. Chapel Bridge

b. Lion Monument

c. Lake Lucerne

d. Old Town Lucerne

Day3:

1. Mt. Pilatus:

a. Should I take Golden Round Trip and experience the journey?

OR

b. Should I travel by my own in Train through STP?

Please Suggest

2. If any sight seeing is remaining in Lucerne will cover if we get time.

Or please let me know, can we do half day [evening] trip to Bern and come back to Lucerne?

Or should I out Bern Trip on Day4?

Lucerne to Bern:

a. Rose Garden/Rosengarten

b. Clock Tower

c. Fountains in Bern

d. Bundeshaus – Parliment

e. Bear Park if time permits

Please let me know if i have left out any places which can be covered in Bern inhalf a day

Day4 :

1. Lucerne to Lugano: Early leaving from Lucerne

Please suggest me which train I should board so that I get best scenic route: Gothard Panaroma Express or Bernina Express? Or some other?

2. Sight Seeing in Lugano

a. Lake Lugano

b. Other Sight seeing. Suggest me few places please.

Back to Lucerne

OR CAN I PLAN DAY4 Like this?

Lugano from Lucerne early morning and cover few places like Lake and leave to Zermatt from Lugano around 2 or 3pm [Route : Lugano – Giubiasco – Locarno – Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt ] and stay in Zermatt.

Next day will do sight seeing in Zermatt as mentioned in DAY 5 below.

Will this be ok.. Please let me know.

Day5:

1. Early train to Zermatt from Lucerne

2. Matterhorn and other sight seeing.

3. From Zermatt to either Wengen/Interlaken/Jungfrau Region. Please suggest me the best scenic route for this.

And also let me know in these three, which one should i choose to stay.

Day6:

1. Day trip to Jungfraujoch region:

a. Sightseeing : Lauternbrunen Valley

b. Grindelwald [Few activities here, check insta collection], Murrenand Wengen.

c. Back to base

Day7:

1. Interlaken Sight seeing:

a. Paragliding. Am i wrong in this? Paragliding is available in Interlaken right or should i do this in any other regions?

b. Thermal Spa/Leukarbad

c. Hohematte park

Please let me know if i can cover any places here in Interlaken in a day

like shopping or any other scenic places

2. Back to base

Day8 :

1. Montreux from base through Golden Pass Rail

2. Castle

3. Callier Chocolate Factory

4. Chaplin World

5. Travel to Geneva and stay.

Day 9:

1. Sight seeing Geneva:

a. Can I do this through Golden Express Rail?

Lake Geneva, Wineries if there.. , Gruyeres

depart from Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 5:59:20 #916151

Hi Arno,

Please review my Itinerary in the latest post of the same thread and let me know your views.

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 5:59:42 #916152

Hi Rohan,

Please review my Itinerary in the latest post of the same thread and let me know your views.

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 6:00:02 #916153

Hi Chetan,

Thanks,

Mahima

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 6:57:22 #916154

hi Mahima

I started loosing your from day 4 on wards.

With a base in Lucerne, I think there is too much of travel time which will not leave you much time to enjoy the places you visit.

I hope you are aware of http://www.sbb.ch/en/ for checking the travel routes/schedule etc. Please use it to plot the places you have listed and you may realize for yourself. Don’t forget to factor in time for meals 🙂

I have answered some of questions inline in your message.I am not knowledgeable enough to answer all and will leave it to the experts.

Day1:

1. Rhine Falls

[Please provide if there is anything that i need to cover in Zurich as sight seeing]

Day2:

1. Mount Titlis:

a. Cable Car ride

b. Ice Flyer

c. Glacier Cave walk

d. Cliff walk

a. Chapel Bridge

b. Lion Monument

c. Lake Lucerne

d. Old Town Lucerne

[Rohan] – if your accommodation is in old town, this should cover most of your sight seeing except Lion Monument but honestly you can give it a miss its not really that great 🙂 The glacier park next to it would be tad better.

Day3:

1. Mt. Pilatus:

OR

Please Suggest

[Rohan]- if I was you ,I would take the golden round trip which gives me an experience of all modes of transport. Contrary to what your perception is, both the trips will be “on your own” and will be covered by the swiss pass you buy. Just that the modes of transport and the route vary.

Or please let me know, can we do half day [evening] trip to Bern and come back to Lucerne?

[Rohan]- As suggested, do theck the travel times between these places and also read up on the time to be spent at these location for best experience to determine if you will be able to do all

Lucerne to Bern:

b. Clock Tower

c. Fountains in Bern

Please let me know if i have left out any places which can be covered in Bern inhalf a day

Day4 :

Please suggest me which train I should board so that I get best scenic route: Gothard Panaroma Express or Bernina Express? Or some other?

a. Lake Lugano

Back to Lucerne

Lugano from Lucerne early morning and cover few places like Lake and leave to Zermatt from Lugano around 2 or 3pm [Route : Lugano – Giubiasco – Locarno – Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt ] and stay in Zermatt.

[Rohan] – Are you planning to keep your base and your baggage at your hotel in Lucerne and still stay at Zermatt for 1 night ?

Day5:

3. From Zermatt to either Wengen/Interlaken/Jungfrau Region. Please suggest me the best scenic route for this.

[Rohan] – I feel you are trying very hard to fit in Zermatt in your itinerary 🙂 Its a 4 hr journey from Lucerne. with limited time in our hands , we cannot really see all. But then there are so many other options available too. I feel you should consider an itinerary without Zermatt unless you have a strong reason . i will leave experts to comment on including Lugano and Zermatt in this itinerary

Day6:

c. Back to base

Day7:

a. Paragliding. Am i wrong in this? Paragliding is available in Interlaken right or should i do this in any other regions?

b. Thermal Spa/Leukarbad

c. Hohematte park

[Rohan]- there are many other options in Interlaken region .Do consider the Lake Thun or Brienz and the castles around these area. Paragliding is done in Interlaken. Do check the tariffs and keep a tab on your budget. when I checked, I found it was economical back in India 🙂

2. Back to base

Day8 :

2. Castle

4. Chaplin World

[Rohan] – you cannot do all of this 1 day. Do check the travel time and you will realize this yourself . Also, I assume you are moving base and will be carrying on the baggage with you. I personally prefer to check in to a hotel , drop the baggage and then move out or maybe use the lockers on station for depositing the luggage.

Day 9:

1. Sight seeing Geneva:

[Rohan] – You can take the golden pass route to visit Gruyeres. Usually the caillers factory visit is clubbed along with Gruyeres

depart from Geneva.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    1 July 2019 at 8:12:07 #916155

Day 1

I am not sure if you can do Reheinfall on first day since it can be tiresome after overnight travel from India. You may do old town walk and lake / river cruise

Day 2 and 3

Your excursion can depend on weather. If it is cloudy it is worthless to go to Mount titlis / Pilatus

Lugano

Ideally you should do day trip from Lucerne and Zermatt can be done as a day trip from Interlaken. We did it. It will be a long day

Interlaken

There is not much to see in Interlaken. I do not think you can combine Leukerabad and paragliding in one day

For last 2 days you should shift your base to Montreoux / Lausanne or Geneva. You can cover Callier Chocolate factory and Chateau in one day. Chaplin world and Lauvaux vineyard can be done in a day

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 9:19:36 #916156

Hi Rohan,

Thank you for the inputs. It means a lot. As i have no idea about the places that can be covered in a day I made this rough plan so that you experts can review and give me the inputs. So thank you for taking time and reading out this and replying to me. I have commented inline.

Day1:

1. Rhine Falls

Day2:

1. Mount Titlis:

a. Cable Car ride

b. Ice Flyer

c. Glacier Cave walk

d. Cliff walk

a. Chapel Bridge

b. Lion Monument

c. Lake Lucerne

d. Old Town Lucerne

[Rohan] – if your accommodation is in old town, this should cover most of your sight seeing except Lion Monument but honestly you can give it a miss its not really that great 🙂 The glacier park next to it would be tad better.

[Mahima] – Oh thank you. Even I felt that Lion Monument could be missed by the pictures. Then I will out glaciers park sure in my list. 🙂

Day3:

1. Mt. Pilatus:

OR

Please Suggest

[Rohan]- if I was you ,I would take the golden round trip which gives me an experience of all modes of transport. Contrary to what your perception is, both the trips will be “on your own” and will be covered by the swiss pass you buy. Just that the modes of transport and the route vary.

[Rohan]– As suggested, do theck the travel times between these places and also read up on the time to be spent at these location for best experience to determine if you will be able to do all

[Mahima] – Sure.. Will check the duration and then plan to visit the places

Lucerne to Bern:

b. Clock Tower

c. Fountains in Bern

Day4 :

a. Lake Lugano

Back to Lucerne

[Rohan] – Are you planning to keep your base and your baggage at your hotel in Lucerne and still stay at Zermatt for 1 night ?

[Mahima] – I thought of using the Lock stations in Station and do the trip. 🙂

Day5:

[Rohan] – I feel you are trying very hard to fit in Zermatt in your itinerary 🙂 Its a 4 hr journey from Lucerne. with limited time in our hands , we cannot really see all. But then there are so many other options available too. I feel you should consider an itinerary without Zermatt unless you have a strong reason . i will leave experts to comment on including Lugano and Zermatt in this itinerary

[Mahima] – I got the point and you are right. While i was planning i was having this Lugano and Zermatt in the options so tried to fit in those places in the itinerary. Will modify as per the Chetan’s comment on this part and will check the time table.

Day6:

c. Back to base

Day7:

b. Thermal Spa/Leukarbad

c. Hohematte park

[Rohan]– there are many other options in Interlaken region .Do consider the Lake Thun or Brienz and the castles around these area. Paragliding is done in Interlaken. Do check the tariffs and keep a tab on your budget. when I checked, I found it was economical back in India 🙂

[Mahima] – Thank you for this info. Will keep this in the plan.

2. Back to base

Day8 :

2. Castle

4. Chaplin World

[Rohan] – you cannot do all of this 1 day. Do check the travel time and you will realize this yourself . Also, I assume you are moving base and will be carrying on the baggage with you. I personally prefer to check in to a hotel , drop the baggage and then move out or maybe use the lockers on station for depositing the luggage.

[Mahima] – Oh I was not knowing that this could not be done in a day. Then I guess i need to stay one more day to cover all these areas. I also prefer to check in to hotel first then start the day. I will do the same. Thank you for the inputs 🙂

Day 9:

1. Sight seeing Geneva:

[Rohan] – You can take the golden pass route to visit Gruyeres. Usually the caillers factory visit is clubbed along with Gruyeres

[Mahima] – Oh that is cool then.

depart from Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 9:39:35 #916157

Hi Chetan,

Thank you for the inputs. Tanks for taking time and reviewing. I have commented inline. I have few doubts, please if possible help me out. 🙂

Day 1

I am not sure if you can do Reheinfall on first day since it can be tiresome after overnight travel from India. You may do old town walk and lake / river cruise

[Mahima] – Oh I though travelling to Zurich in the evening and take rest would be sufficient. Will not that be?

And also I had a doubt.. If i had to take a cruise, in which place should I take? I mean I heard there are cruises in almost every lake. So which one would be good according to you?

Day 2 and 3

Your excursion can depend on weather. If it is cloudy it is worthless to go to Mount titlis / Pilatus

Lugano

Ideally you should do day trip from Lucerne and Zermatt can be done as a day trip from Interlaken. We did it. It will be a long day

[Mahima] – Oh Cool, Thank you for letting me know about this. Will definitely plan like that. So from Lucerne to Interlaken, which train route should i take for the best scenic route?

Interlaken

There is not much to see in Interlaken. I do not think you can combine Leukerabad and paragliding in one day

[Mahima] – Okay. Could you please let me know how to plan this then. How long will it take to cover the Leukerabad place. How is this place, is it worth? Along with this which places can i cover or should i consider only Leukerabad on one day and other day paragliding and local sightseeing. Please help me out. 🙂

For last 2 days you should shift your base to Montreoux / Lausanne or Geneva. You can cover Callier Chocolate factory and Chateau in one day. Chaplin world and Lauvaux vineyard can be done in a day

[Mahima] – Thank you for letting me know about this. Could we miss the chaplin world and Lauvaux vineyard? Or will we miss if we skip this? What is Chateau?

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    1 July 2019 at 10:05:19 #916158

Day 1

[Mahima] – Oh I though travelling to Zurich in the evening and take rest would be sufficient. Will not that be?

[Chetan] Normally we do not much on first day since we are tired from night flight. But if you have energy and stamina, you can do. It is about 2 hours from Zurich

And also I had a doubt.. If i had to take a cruise, in which place should I take? I mean I heard there are cruises in almost every lake. So which one would be good according to you?

[Chetan] Any lake. We did on lake Brienz

[Mahima] – Oh Cool, Thank you for letting me know about this. Will definitely plan like that. So from Lucerne to Interlaken, which train route should i take for the best scenic route?

[Chetan] Golden Pass from Lucerne to Interlaken

[Mahima] – Okay. Could you please let me know how to plan this then. How long will it take to cover the Leukerabad place. How is this place, is it worth? Along with this which places can i cover or should i consider only Leukerabad on one day and other day paragliding and local sightseeing. Please help me out. 🙂

[Chetan] I do not have personal experience of Leukerabad but it should take a day. There are many blogs on the same. You may google on this. But I feel this should be done on 2 separate days. Please put a separate question on myswissalps.com

[Mahima] – Thank you for letting me know about this. Could we miss the chaplin world and Lauvaux vineyard? Or will we miss if we skip this? What is Chateau?

[Chetan] I feel these activities to be done on 2 different days. Chateau de Chillon is well maintained medieval castle. You can visit if you have interest.

Frankly Switzerland is a place to do a relaxed travel. This is place where journey is destination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 10:11:22 #916159

Thank you Chetan.

One more thing,

Could you please let me know in a day trip to Lugano , what all places did you cover.

And also in Zermatt, what all places did you cover in a day? Which train is the best from interlaken ?

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    1 July 2019 at 12:08:55 #916160

Lugano

I have not visited Lugano but suggested can be old town walk, boat trip to Gandria and visit to Monte San Salvatore, Swiss miniature

In case of Zermatt, we did gornergrat. Other option is Klein Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    1 July 2019 at 12:21:53 #916161

Oh thank you so much..

Could you also please let me know how much time should we take to spend time in Bern? Thinking of keeping base as Lucerne.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    1 July 2019 at 12:32:47 #916162

Half day to full day

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘How to plan my 10 days trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11480 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.