Are there ramps, lifts at Kandersteg, Wilderswil train stations?

• Audreyfoo
    Participant
    1 post
    16 April 2024 at 10:21:25 #1411895

I would like to check if there is any ramp or elevator (lifts) at

1. Kandersteg Train Station

2. Wilderswil Train Station.

As i am travelling with my elderly mom and 2 luggages

• DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    16 April 2024 at 10:33:49 #1412237

I just played around on the SBB site, and you can find the under Travel Information.

I think this is the correct link for Accessible Travel.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travel-information/individual-needs/travelling-reduced-mobility.html

Hope that this helps.

I am sure one of the experts will be on soon, sometimes it takes a while due to international time zones.

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    17 April 2024 at 10:54:01 #1419645

Hi Audrey, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The link Deb provided has useful information, in particular the heading “Synoptic map for people with restricted mobility”. If you follow that link, stations that are fully accessible are shown on the map with a green dot. Those that aren’t are shown with a red dot. You can zoom in to see station names, or search for them in the search box.

Wilderswil has a green dot, but unfortunately Kandersteg has a red dot.

That means Kandersteg only has stairs, not a ramp. It is apparently “on the list” for renovation to meet accessibility standards, but not scheduled to be finished until 2026, so not in time for your trip (assuming it is before then).

However, judging from the station plan, it looks like Platform 1 might be accessible without stairs, or at least without a big flight of stairs, so if your train is using platform 1, it might not be a problem. Access to and from Platform 2 seems to be via stairs down to an underpass and then up again. The station plan is here:

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travel-information/stations/find-station/station.7475.kandersteg.html

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2024 at 11:02:38 #1419930

Hi Audreyfoo,

The two tracks at Wilderswil station are both on street level so no ramp or stairs are needed to get there. I am not sure about Kandersteg. I think Alpenrose is correct: a renovation is planned, including adding ramps, but it’s not done yet. I also think platform 1 is the easiest to reach. It’s a bit higher than the street but I think there’s a ramp from the street to that platform. As far as I know, most trains in both directions depart from platform 1 normally.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 April 2024 at 16:07:06 #1431121

I passed Kandersteg today and can confirm that the situation is exactly as described yesterday: platform 1 is where all trains (normally) stop and it is accessible via a ramp. Platform 2 and 3 are stairs only but that will be improved in the future.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.