Travel Zurich to Innsbruck with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 2:10:28 #824206

Hi, I am holding a Swiss travel pass. Can I use the pass for my journey from Zurich to Innsbruck? Should I take a train or bus? We will be leaving Zurich on 30 Oct. Appreciate your valuable advice. Thank you.

• Arno
    15484 posts
    15 October 2019 at 6:06:17 #923691

Hi Delly Soo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There are comfortable direct trains, so that’s the way to travel. I’m not even sure if there are buses too, but in any case Swiss Travel Pass will not be valid for them. By train, the Swiss Travel Pass is valid between Zurich and Buchs SG: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. But a ticket from Zurich to Innsbruck may not be more expensive than Buchs SG to Innsbruck, so do check that before you buy.

Purchase options for the tickets can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria/pri ce.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 17:09:50 #923692

Hi Arno,

Thank you do much for your informative reply. Now I’m able to continue to plan my journey beyond Switzerland. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 23:45:12 #923693

Not really. The Swiss Travel Pass – as the name suggests – is only valid in Switzerland

Zurich – Innsbruck international trains are operated by Austrian Railways under the Railjet brand (Nightjet for the overnight trains). Railjet and other major international trains like TGV tend to be priced using what is known as ‘Global pricing’ – as such it is not really worth the extra hassle of dividing the ticket buying up between a Swiss portion and the Austrian portion – and often the shorter distance fares on such trains are as expensive as the longer distance fares.

• The thread ‘Travel Zurich to Innsbruck with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.