Switzerland, Sept. 10 days – planning scenic train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 3:10:07 #814884

Hi my husband and I will be going on a European trip this year and will be arriving in Zurich and take a train to Lucerne on September 25. We are going to get half fare swiss pass to use on our trip. We intend to see and explore the beautiful sights as much as we can but in the same time have a relaxing holiday giving us time to absorb the Swiss way of life in the short time we have.

Sept 25- 29 Lucerne 4 nights where we planned to spend a day in Mt Pilatus, a day in Mt Titlis and one day just to explore Lucerne sights.

Sept 29-Oct 1 Bern 2 nights kick back and enjoy Bern

Oct 1-5 Interlaken we booked our stay in Wilderswill we hope to spend a day in Jungfrau top of Europe with hopes to see Wengen and other picturesque village, a day in Schilthorn visiting Murren on the way there or on the way back and a day free to explore other sight. Any suggestions.

We leave Interlaken October 5 heading to Geneva and then unto Lyon. We have booked our accommodations throughout. Is there a scenic train we can use the way we planned our trip or do we have to make our way back to Lucerne from Bern to get on the golden pass train to Interlaken. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 16:01:33 #879369

Hi Marston and welcome to MySwissAlps!

On your itinerary, yes the Golden Pass would be the easiest to incorporate. You would need to train to Lucerne first to take the Lucerne -Interlaken Express train (part 1 of the 3 part Golden Pass route).

You could do this during your stay in Lucerne as well (that section is just 2 hours) if you feel like a day trip.
    You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all trips you want to make.

Another scenic train ride you could look at is the Gotthard Panoramic express to Lugano as a day trip as well (if you do indeed already have all accommodation booked).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2018 at 12:23:13 #879370

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been doing a lot of reading on our trip. As we want to avoid any backtracting, we’re thinking of taking the train from Lucerne to Bern via Lagnao to see more sights. Also from Interlaken take the Golden pass train to Montreux before proceeding to Geneva then Lyon. Still checking out the Lugano trip, I guess it largely depends on the weather like everything else. I really enjoy reading the swiss forum very informative and helpful. Thanks everyone!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2018 at 0:04:07 #879371

I’m slightly worried that you state you want to ‘absorb the Swiss way of life’ but then quote all the ‘tourist traps’ as places you want to go.

I’m please to see the mention of going via Langnau – them Emmental (of cheese fame) really is the ‘Swiss way’ and worth stopping not just travelling through.

• The thread ‘Switzerland, Sept. 10 days – planning scenic train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.