10 days across Switzerland in April: tips?

• mhm1
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 September 2022 at 2:05:19 #828355

Hi everyone. We booked a 10-day trip next April a bit spontaneously and wow am I overwhelmed with all the good info on here. One thing I’m a bit worried about is the timing we happened to choose, which was the best time for our work schedules but seemingly the worst time for the Bernese Oberland (or Switzerland in general). Here’s a rough outline of what I have as of now–flight into Geneva and out of Zurich is already booked, but nothing else.

April 10 – arrive in Geneva at 8am, train right to Montreux

April 11 – Montreux

April 12-13 – Zermatt

April 14, 15, 16 – Lauterbrunnen area

April 17-18 – Lucerne

April 19-20 – Zurich

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this doable? Are my concerns about BO warranted? One thing I was wondering about is whether we should shorten that region to 2 days and add another day to Lucerne. We would like to do a few hikes during our trip, but it doesn’t have to be hardcore…I think we were just hoping for some with a little higher elevation though.

Thanks!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2022 at 10:59:23 #946974

Early – mid April is a fine time to visit Switzerland.

I spent every Easter /early April in Switzerland over a continuous period of about 20 years and it is a very nice time of year to visit. Usually at medium high altitude, the cattle will just be being let out of their winter sheds and into the fields. There will be plenty of very pleasant farmald type hiking available.

You are correct, very high altitude hikes will not be available as early April is just between the end of the season for the winter walking paths on prepared snow and the opening up of normal walking paths for ‘summer’ hiking. At medium altitude you will find that snow is likely to have melted on paths on the sunny side of valleys , but it may be icy or slushy and therefore dangerous or illegal to walk on paths shaded from sum or in forest.

Anna
    6424 posts
    16 September 2022 at 14:22:13 #946975

Hi mhm1,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Visiting in April is certainly doable.I agree with 1960man however that hikes on high altitudes in the Lauterbrunnen area might not be possible during this time. But it is still possible to hike the various trails in the valleys and along the lakes.

You can find more practical information about seasonal activities here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

Regards,

Anna

mhm1
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 September 2022 at 19:48:02 #946976

Thank you both for the replies!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2022 at 23:01:46 #946977

Here are a few pictures from one of my April trips – in this case in 2009. The pictures were taken around 9 – 10 April. Below about 1100m asl, everything already green (and spring flowers growing) but as you can see in some photos, higher mountains still covered in snow. Obviously the situation can be different year to year but early – mid April is most often like it is in my pictures.

In picture 2009 080 the nearest (white walled) chalet was our holiday house

Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    17 September 2022 at 15:41:20 #946978

We just returned from our trip to Switzerland. Our itinerary was GenevaMontreuxWengenLocarno-Milan. I realize the activities can be very different in April – Schilthorn, & high altitudes, etc. – but the one thing I regret in our short stay of 2 days at Wengen is not having enough time to explore the Lauterbrunnen valley. Although we visited Trummelbach Falls and Mannichlen, we did not do the hike (regretfully) to Kleine Scheidegg (3m) but opted to walk from Murren to Gimmelwald, an easy, paved downhill path. There is so much to do in the beautiful BO region! Seeing the cows and hearing the sound of their bells was quite enjoyable too. The cows were scheduled to come down from the mountains the next week, which would have been interesting to see. We were able to go up to the Schilthorn and see the magnificent Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau peaks clear from the fog. It was an extraordinary experience!

Enjoy your trip in April. I believe any month of travel in Switzerland would be magical!

Bebe

• The thread ‘10 days across Switzerland in April: tips?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11240 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.