10 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2015 at 6:18:53 #807122

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland in June. We have booked 7 nights in Davos and plan to spend the first 3 nights in Grindelwald and Lucern. We have puchased the Swiss travel pass. I would appreciate any help with our itinerary.

1. Day 1 – Arrive in Zurich and take a train to Grindelwald. Any route/ trains you can suggest for a scenic ride? Explore Interlaken and Grindelwald.

2. Day 2 – Take a train up to Jungfraujoch. Should we go up via Grindelwald and come down via Wengen?

3. Day 3 – Train to Lucern. Explore Lucern

4. Day 4 – Mt. Pilatus via boat and train. Head to Davos in the afternoon.

5. Day 5 – 10 – explore the region around Davos and take the Bernina Express. Visit Chur and take the Engadin Circular Tour. Boat trip to Filisur, Samedan, St. Moritz and back to Davos by train.

Please let me know if I should add in anything.

Thanks & Regards,

Suni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 April 2015 at 16:27:28 #842661

Hi Suni,

Day 1: You can travel via Lucerne and the Golden Pass line, although you will cover that route on day 3 as well. So you can also take the quickest regular connection as offered by the timetable. There is one more alternative, and that’s taking the scenic bus ride from Meiringen to Grindelwald. You can also do that on day 3. The route is party free and partly discounted with your Swiss Travel Pass. Schedules are in the timetable, as well as on fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap-pdf-fields/2015/ 31.164.pdf.

Day 2. Yes, that way you will see the whole region. Route details can be found here.

Day 5 – 10: There are no boat trips there. The train is the way to go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2015 at 3:31:05 #842662

Thanks for your reply Annika. I have a few more questions.

1. Can we travel free on the Bernina Express and Galcier Express with our swiss travel pass?

2. How much would the tickets to jungfraujoch and Mt Pilatus cost with our Swiss travel pass?

3. Which cable car rides will be for free in Davos during summer with our swiss pass?

4. These are the places we plan to see in and around Davous. Please advise if we are missing anything out:

– Train to St. Moritz and to take the Bernina express there;

– Trip to Chur and Arosa

– Trip to the Rhine Gorge

– Davos Lake

– Take the various available cable car rides around Davos

Thanks

Annika
    7103 posts
    27 April 2015 at 11:25:51 #842663

Hi suni. You can best check the Swiss Travel Pass validity map to find out what’s covered. As you’ll see, it includes the Glacier Express and Bernina Express, except for additional seat reservations. The Jungfraujoch is 25% off from Wengen/Grindelwald, Pilatus is 50% off. Cable cars in the Davos area are not included. One of the combination tickets offered by Davos tourism may come in handy here.

You’ve certainly selected the main attractions in and near Davos. Don’t forget to visit the Engadine valley: it’s worth spending some time in the surroundings of St. Moritz. An extensive list of tips can be found at the Davos tourism website.

• The thread ‘10 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.