12 day trip to Switzerland – rail pass options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:47:40 #813992

We are planning a 12 day family trip with 2 adults and my 17 year old son in August. We are planning on flying into Zurich, heading to Lucerne region, down to the Jungfrau region and then to Zermatt and departing from Geneva. As far as train travel, I was assuming the Swiss Rail Pass would be best but based on the locations that we are traveling, does buying the individual regional passes make more sense? Being our first time to Switzerland, we are planning on doing a lot of the cable car, mountain scenery tours which are discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass But included in some of the regional passes.

Also, how many days would you realistically need to spend in the Jungfrau region to explore the towns and see the sights in summer? We were thinking 3 or 4 nights to give us the best chance of getting a day with clear weather up on the mountains. But if you feel that it could be done with 2-3 nights, we can adjust our itinerary.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 11:06:27 #873974

Hi Keepfaith,

I would suspect you are best off overall with just the Swiss Travel Pass (15 days) over buying multiple regional passes. Though this depends on exactly which mountains you are visiting and what the comparable % are on them with different rail passes.

You will need to plan out your travel days and do the math to compare and see which works the best for you. We have a web page here on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet attached to help you do the math.

You can easily spend a few weeks on the Jungfrau region and not fully explore it. I would go with as many days as you can if your priority is to spend time in the mountains.

• The thread ‘12 day trip to Switzerland – rail pass options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.