12 day trip to Switzerland - rail pass options

12 day trip to Switzerland - rail pass options

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Keepfaith
Keepfaith
10 posts
Jan 10, 2018 - 10:47 AM

We are planning a 12 day family trip with 2 adults and my 17 year old son in August. We are planning on flying into Zurich, heading to Lucerne region, down to the Jungfrau region and then to Zermatt and departing from Geneva. As far as train travel, I was assuming the Swiss Rail Pass would be best but based on the locations that we are traveling, does buying the individual regional passes make more sense? Being our first time to Switzerland, we are planning on doing a lot of the cable car, mountain scenery tours which are discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass But included in some of the regional passes.

Also, how many days would you realistically need to spend in the Jungfrau region to explore the towns and see the sights in summer? We were thinking 3 or 4 nights to give us the best chance of getting a day with clear weather up on the mountains. But if you feel that it could be done with 2-3 nights, we can adjust our itinerary.

Lucas
Lucas
5591 posts
expert &
Jan 10, 2018 - 11:06 AM in reply to Keepfaith

Hi Keepfaith,

I would suspect you are best off overall with just the Swiss Travel Pass (15 days) over buying multiple regional passes. Though this depends on exactly which mountains you are visiting and what the comparable % are on them with different rail passes.

You will need to plan out your travel days and do the math to compare and see which works the best for you. We have a web page here on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet attached to help you do the math.

You can easily spend a few weeks on the Jungfrau region and not fully explore it. I would go with as many days as you can if your priority is to spend time in the mountains.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018