1pm flight in Zurich from Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 18:24:31 #824407

Is this reasonable? I assume I would need to be AT the airport by 11:00am. I will be picking up luggage that I had left at the airport when I arrived so I’m giving about 1/2 hour for that.

It seems that I have up until 7:30 am to leave Wengen to make it to the airport by 11:00. I’m thinking if I get on the 7:00am, it will leave some extra time in case of a missed connection or train delay.

My only other option is a 5:45pm flight, which is much later than I would like.

Does this seem doable and not too risky? Or do I need to be at the airport earlier than 11:00am?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2019 at 20:03:08 #924841

I would be taking the 07:03. Check-in for International flights open 3 hours prior to take-off.

When are you travelling? There is currently a substitute bus between Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken Ost due to track maintenance work.

Oh, I see from an earlier post you are travelling next June. Is that correct?

If you caught the 7:03 to Brig instead, you could by in downtown Venice by14:40 and see lots of scenery on the way. 😎

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    8 November 2019 at 20:10:22 #924842

Hi Lamb616

If it was me I would stay closer to Zurich the night before the flight.

Jane

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 November 2019 at 20:35:36 #924843

Hi Lamb616,

I would go with JaneEB’s suggestion. Spend the night before the flight in Zurich, just to be safe.
    Alternatively, you can take the train to Venice as I mentioned in another thread and as suggested by rockoyster.

Be sure to check the SBB timetable for train times:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

And in case you plan to stay near the airport the night before:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels

Regards,
    Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 21:59:16 #924844

I wouldnt mind taking a train all the way to venice but i have to stop at Zurich airport to pick up luggage…..so I figure since I’m at the airport, I might as well just hop a flight. Unless it’s pretty simple to get my.luggage then get back on a train? I dont know how involved it is to get to wherever the luggage is in the airport, then back to the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 22:05:32 #924845

Yes, I def. Was thinking I’d take the 7:03, that’s not a problem.

I’d rather not spend the night in zurich. I’d rather leave wengen at 5am if I need to.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2019 at 22:14:06 #924846

I don’t see a need to stay near the airport the night before as long as you are up for an early start.

Going Wengen to Venice via Brig might make sense. Going by train via Zurich Airport definitely does not.

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    9 November 2019 at 9:40:25 #924847

I read on an earlier post on this forum that as Zurich is such an efficient airport that getting there just 2 hours before take off should be ok for an international flight.

With that in mind I was planning to leave Wengen on the 0633 train to Zurich airport for an 1145 international take off (May 2020). Any thoughts, what has changed that I would need to get there earlier …?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 November 2019 at 10:33:39 #924848

Nothing has changed. Just cross your fingers and hope that all your trains are on time (which they usually are) and you don’t miss a connection (like the 4 minute connection in Spiez).

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 November 2019 at 11:02:17 #924849

Hi Sweyne,

Assuming you don’t miss any of your connections, and they all run on schedule, you should arrive in Zurich Airport in good time.

If possible, if your arline allows it, perhaps you could check-in on line and print your boarding pass in advance. As soon as you get to the airport you just need to drop-in your luggage and avoid the long queue at the check-in desks. Also, Zurich Airport has 3 terminals and it would a good idea to know exactly how to get to your terminal from the train station.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/site-plans

Safe journey and be sure to check the timetable! 🙂
    Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2019 at 4:08:03 #924850

I had same flight 1pm last October 5, took 7:03am train from Wengen, arrived at Zurich airport 10:14am. I had enough time, was still able to buy some chocolates at the airport and had late breakfast from one of airport cafes. You’ll make it.

• The thread ‘1pm flight in Zurich from Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.