1pm flight in Zurich from Wengen?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Lamb616
Lamb616
16 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 6:24 PM

Is this reasonable? I assume I would need to be AT the airport by 11:00am. I will be picking up luggage that I had left at the airport when I arrived so I'm giving about 1/2 hour for that.

It seems that I have up until 7:30 am to leave Wengen to make it to the airport by 11:00. I'm thinking if I get on the 7:00am, it will leave some extra time in case of a missed connection or train delay.

My only other option is a 5:45pm flight, which is much later than I would like.

Does this seem doable and not too risky? Or do I need to be at the airport earlier than 11:00am?

rockoyster
rockoyster
7611 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2019 - 8:03 PM in reply to Lamb616

I would be taking the 07:03. Check-in for International flights open 3 hours prior to take-off.

When are you travelling? There is currently a substitute bus between Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken Ost due to track maintenance work.

Oh, I see from an earlier post you are travelling next June. Is that correct?

If you caught the 7:03 to Brig instead, you could by in downtown Venice by14:40 and see lots of scenery on the way. 😎

Last modified on Nov 8, 2019 - 8:17 PM by rockoyster
JaneEB
JaneEB
112 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 8:10 PM

Hi Lamb616

If it was me I would stay closer to Zurich the night before the flight.

Jane

Anna
Anna
251 posts
top member &
Nov 8, 2019 - 8:35 PM

Hi Lamb616,

I would go with JaneEB's suggestion. Spend the night before the flight in Zurich, just to be safe.
Alternatively, you can take the train to Venice as I mentioned in another thread and as suggested by rockoyster.

Be sure to check the SBB timetable for train times:
www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

And in case you plan to stay near the airport the night before:
www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels

Regards,
Anna

Lamb616
Lamb616
16 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 9:59 PM

I wouldnt mind taking a train all the way to venice but i have to stop at Zurich airport to pick up luggage.....so I figure since I'm at the airport, I might as well just hop a flight. Unless it's pretty simple to get my.luggage then get back on a train? I dont know how involved it is to get to wherever the luggage is in the airport, then back to the train.

Last modified on Nov 8, 2019 - 10:00 PM by Lamb616
Lamb616
Lamb616
16 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 10:05 PM in reply to rockoyster

Yes, I def. Was thinking I'd take the 7:03, that's not a problem.

I'd rather not spend the night in zurich. I'd rather leave wengen at 5am if I need to.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7611 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2019 - 10:14 PM in reply to Lamb616

I don’t see a need to stay near the airport the night before as long as you are up for an early start.

Going Wengen to Venice via Brig might make sense. Going by train via Zurich Airport definitely does not.

Sweyne
Sweyne
22 posts
Nov 9, 2019 - 9:40 AM in reply to Lamb616

I read on an earlier post on this forum that as Zurich is such an efficient airport that getting there just 2 hours before take off should be ok for an international flight.

With that in mind I was planning to leave Wengen on the 0633 train to Zurich airport for an 1145 international take off (May 2020). Any thoughts, what has changed that I would need to get there earlier ...?

Last modified on Nov 9, 2019 - 9:41 AM by Sweyne
rockoyster
rockoyster
7611 posts
expert
Nov 9, 2019 - 10:33 AM in reply to Sweyne

Nothing has changed. Just cross your fingers and hope that all your trains are on time (which they usually are) and you don’t miss a connection (like the 4 minute connection in Spiez).

Last modified on Nov 9, 2019 - 10:37 AM by rockoyster
Anna
Anna
251 posts
top member &
Nov 9, 2019 - 11:02 AM in reply to Sweyne

Hi Sweyne,

Assuming you don't miss any of your connections, and they all run on schedule, you should arrive in Zurich Airport in good time.

If possible, if your arline allows it, perhaps you could check-in on line and print your boarding pass in advance. As soon as you get to the airport you just need to drop-in your luggage and avoid the long queue at the check-in desks. Also, Zurich Airport has 3 terminals and it would a good idea to know exactly how to get to your terminal from the train station.

www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/site-plans

Safe journey and be sure to check the timetable! :)
Regards,

Anna

Tomi
Tomi
3 posts
Nov 13, 2019 - 4:08 AM

I had same flight 1pm last October 5, took 7:03am train from Wengen, arrived at Zurich airport 10:14am. I had enough time, was still able to buy some chocolates at the airport and had late breakfast from one of airport cafes. You’ll make it.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019