2 night stay at Luzern vs Meggen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 8:24:12 #809061

hi! As per my initial plan, I was spending two nights in Lucerne. However the accommodation was quite steep and I have now booked a two night stay at Meggen, which I believe is 10 min train journey from Lucerne. I have an option to cancel this reservation. I want to know if it’s fine to stay at Meggen instead of Lucerne? Primary purpose of the stay – trip to titlis / rigi, river cruise , maybe visit bern. We intend to be back at the hotel by 9-10 pm every night so can eat at lucern and take the train / bus back to Meggen. I’m ok to switch back to Lucerne if it offers more than Meggen. However, if there’s not much of a difference stay wise then I would like to save some money and stay at Meggen. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    1 May 2016 at 9:47:06 #851431

Hi meghaswiss,

Which hotel did you book in Meggen? I ask because the exact location may matter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 17:14:59 #851432

Hi, it’s guest house zum kreuz. Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2016 at 0:35:08 #851433

Hi meghaswiss –

Luzern is a sophisticated city with many restaurants, museums and things to see and do.

Meggen is a nice small villlage on an arm of the lake, with great views. Not even close to equalling Luzern for tourist attractions. However, assuming you are within walking distance of the train station, it can be a fine location. The slope of the land is a bit steep there….better be near the train station.

Annika asked the right question.

You have adopted my own preferred strategy when I travel without a car….stay reasonably close to the big cities NEAR A RAIL LINE and lower your costs with only modest reduction in convenience… Does not work if you haul a lot of stuff with you every time you travel.

I just checked a couple of maps. Looks like you are close to the train station, slightly uphill from it, right on the main road.

map.search.ch/?q=Meggen+Gotthard+stra sse+1&near=671148%2C21 1057&z=256

or

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=d e&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&X=211617.11&Y=67 1738.00&zoom=9&layers= ch.swisstopo.swissimag e-product&layers_visibil ity=false

The traffic on that road is not light, but it moves slowly and will not generate a lot of noise. If you can get a room on the back side, it will be quieter.

By the way, proper nouns are capitalized in German –

Gasthaus zum Kreuz.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 4:03:49 #851434

Thank you slowpoke, very helpful and informative!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2016 at 6:49:04 #851435

You are welcome-

Looks like you have frequent bus service right by your door. Good location. See attached screen grab.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 12:55:16 #851436

The bus out to Meggen from the rail station in Lucerne is #24. There is a stop directly in front of the Hotel Balm as well as others.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2016 at 14:43:10 #851437

Hi Applecroft-

<<“The bus out to Meggen from the rail station in Lucerne is #24.”>>

That shows in the timetable screen grab that I posted.

Looks like a good location.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 15:55:35 #851438

Thanks guys. Any idea on when does the last bus leave lucern for Meggen? Also I note that some trips take 12 minutes whilst others 28. Any idea why?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2016 at 16:09:05 #851439

Hi Meghaswiss.

<<“Thanks guys. Any idea on when does the last bus leave lucern for Meggen?

Also I note that some trips take 12 minutes whilst others 28. Any idea

why?”>>

Please check the time table and study it carefully for your dates and times of day. That will tell you the last trip of the day. Follow my example.

Once you have the page for your possible connections, which will show you four near the time you requested, ,you can check “later” at the bottom, and get 4 more journeys. You can also check “last connection.”

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The 28 minute trips are buses ( #24) and the hourly shorter ones are trains (S3, S-Bahnen are commuter trains with lots of local stops.)

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘2 night stay at Luzern vs Meggen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.