2 weeks Grindelwald-Zermatt-Montreux in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 4:21:44 #815351

Hey all,

My brother and I are traveling to Switzerland early September. As of right now, we have our plane ticket booked but nothing else.

I am posting here to see if the days I have marked for the cities and which cities will be used for base is workable. As for activities, it will be decided when my brother comes home from college. We will be traveling via train and bus through the country.

Day 1 9/2: Arrive in Zurich 8:50am, go directly to Lucerne. Explore the city and lake. Stay in Lucerne

Day 2 9/3: Either Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus. Maybe add another local activity if we explored the city day before. Stay in Lucerne

Day 3 9/4: Train to Grindelwald. Explore. Go to Mt.First. Stay in Grindelwald-base

Day 4 9/5: Jungfrau Region (Top of Europe…) I am a little confused on what we can do in this area and if it does not take all day what else to do to fill the day. Stay in Grindelwald.

Day 5 9/6: Looking to paragliding into Interlaken. Explore Interlaken. Stay in Grindelwald.

Day 6 9/7: Train to Zermatt. Stay in Zermatt

Day 7 9/8: Matterhorn and Gornergrat. Stay in Zermatt

Day 8 9/9: Train to Montreux. Stay in Montreux-base

Day 9 9/10: Train to Gruyeres. Explore. Back to Montreux

Day 10 9/11: Explore Montreux. Night in Montreux (might switch with day 12 and not stay the night and go directly to Bern and stay night there)

Day 11 9/12: Train to Geneva. Explore. Night in Montreux

Day 12 9/13: Train to Lausanne. Explore. Night in Montreux (If day 10 is switched, morning in Montreux, train to Bern, explore and stay)

Day 13 9/14: Train to Bern, half day explore. train to Zurich. Night in Zurich. (If doing switch, morning in Bern, train to Zurich and explore. Stay in Zurich)

Day 14 9/15: Morning in Zurich if possible. Flight leave 11:45am.

Please let me know if this is doable, if I can skip some cities, or change base.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:53:37 #882354

Hello Hwafrey and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Looks pretty good to me. Don’t worry about running out of things to do in the Jungfrau Region.

You might want to start considering what sort of pass will work best for you. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”, download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

You could possibly think about swapping Montreux and Zermatt. The you could take the very scenic Golden Pass Line from Interlaken to Montreux. Then Montreux – Zermatt – Bern.

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    17 April 2018 at 18:14:55 #882355

Hi Hwafrey,

Your trip sounds very similar to the trip we took last September. I have never been to Mt. Rigi but Mt. Pilatus was a highlight for us. It sounds like you and your brother are young men so I think you would enjoy how we did Mt. Pilatus. We went up by cogwheel train and came down the back side by cable car to Frakmuntegg and did the luge. It was such fun!!!! My trip report might be helpful.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/september-2017-14-day-trip-report-part-2

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 22:49:25 #882356

One of the best planned itineraries I’ve seen here. Needs little or no alteration.

Can’t see any problems.

The only comment I would make is to watch the weather for Zermatt and adjust accordingly (eg early train on your switch day from Grindelwald in case that is gong to be the best weather in Zermatt.)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 5:59:40 #882357

Thank you all for your comments. I will add these notes to what we have and see if my brother is interested.

And yes, I was warned about the weather for Zermatt. Hopefully it will be fine on the days we go.

• The thread ‘2 weeks Grindelwald-Zermatt-Montreux in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.