Thoughts on 2.5 day itinerary in Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 12:24:22 #818395

I will be travelling from Lucerne on 16 October. My base is in Wengen.

16 Oct (assume arriving at noon earliest): Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. Gondola to and fro Mannlichen from Wengen.

17 Oct: Wengen to Jungfraujoch. From Jungfraujoch train to Grindelwald for the First to Bachalpsee walk. From Grindelwald back to Wengen.

(Wanted to do the Mannlichen-KS walk together with Jungraujoch trip but I’m afraid that i will not have enough time if i shift the First to Bachalpsee walk to 16 Oct if I want to make the 4.30pm gondola trip back to Grindelwald)

18 Oct: Train from Wengen base. Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg walk. Explore Trummelbach Falls in the middle. Gondola to Schilthorn. From Schilthorn gondola to Murren. Murren to Grutschalp walk. Train back to Wengen.

Is my itinerary feasible? Is it too tight or can I do more? Do you have any alternative suggestions that I could do if the weather is not good and I do not go up to Jungraujoch and/or Schilthorn in the end?

Thanks very much. All feedback greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 18:29:37 #896377

Hi ksyting and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, your daily plans look just fine. You can always find train and cable car schedules on the timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable and you can find details on those hikes (duration etc) on our hiking page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Generally speaking, you might find one mountain has good weather, while another does not. So be sure to check each one in the morning before heading up. There is a wide selection of mountains and activities you can look through for the Jungfrau region here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 14:11:04 #896378

Thanks Lucas! I was wondering if the snow fun park will be open during my visit. The website shows it will be opened till mid Oct. Is there anyway to find out before I decide if to go up?

I know the advise is to dress in layers and I will need winter coat for Jungfraujoch. But what about for normal activities/easy hikes around the area. Do I need to bring thinner coats/outer wear too? I live in tropical country and am not so good with knowing exactly what to bring/wear and am trying not to overpack for my 2 week trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 18:49:39 #896379

They may update their website closer to mid-October (weather dependent) or check with the local tourism office before you go up.

I’d pack a warm sweater or two and a rain jacket and not worry about a winter coat that you may only need for a couple hours. As you note, layers is key and warm layers with a rain jacket should be just fine.

• The thread ‘Thoughts on 2.5 day itinerary in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.