3 Day 2 Nights Trip to Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2012 at 3:36:10 #805067

Dear all,

We are planning a trip to the Bernese Oberland around 21st – 23rd April. Our travel itinerary goes like this:

On 21st morning (around 10) we reach Wengen and walk around the village. The same day around 1 pm we take a train to Lauterbrunnen to see the Trummelbach Falls and from there go to Grindelwald to spend the night.

The next day morning (around 8), we take the train trip to Jungfraujoch. We will reach Jungfrau around 10:30 and we intend to be there for another 3 hours. Then, on our way back, we plan to make a stop at Kleine Scheidegg. Then, we come back to Grindelwald and call it a day.

Next morning, we travel around Grindelwald and take our train back home to Germany in the evening.

Now, my queries are:
    1. Is the end of April a good time to be there?
    2. Can you please suggest a better travel itinerary or is this ok (we can not, however, extend the duration of our stay)?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 March 2012 at 5:32:18 #835361

Hello kinjaljus4u,

I answered your question in the Swiss Rail section of the forum. I don’t think it’s necessary to post your question twice. You will always get an answer here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2012 at 5:55:19 #835362

Hello Wandermann,

i have seen your reply in the rail forum. However, I felt that I have posted my query in the wrong forum as I wanted more suggestions on the day trips. As you can see, I have deleted my post from the rail forum before posting it here.

I am really sorry if I have violated any rules of the forum.

Thanks & Regards,
    kinjaljus4u

P.S.: Can you please suggest whether we can include a trip to Lake Brienz or Lake Thune within this schedule?

Annika
    7103 posts
    23 March 2012 at 7:41:30 #835363

Hello kinjaljus4u! I noticed you posted this question in the rail forum too. Would you mind continuing your further questions in this topic? I’ll remove the one in the rail forum, as that’s a bit unclear now since your question has disappeared. It’s best to post the same question only once indeed, but I understand your confusion. So don’t worry about violating rules :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2012 at 7:54:49 #835364

Hello Annika,

Thanks for your understanding. I will continue my further questions in this topic only. Can you please also suggest how we can make this itinerary a bit better?
    Also, I would be obliged if you can provide me with some estimates on how long it will take in travelling around Kleine Scheidegg, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen.

Thanks & Regards,

Kinjal

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 March 2012 at 8:29:33 #835365

[quote]kinjaljus4u said: Hello Wandermann,
    i have seen your reply in the rail forum. However, I felt that I have posted my query in the wrong forum as I wanted more suggestions on the day trips. As you can see, I have deleted my post from the rail forum before posting it here.
    I am really sorry if I have violated any rules of the forum.
    Thanks & Regards,
    kinjaljus4u
    P.S.: Can you please suggest whether we can include a trip to Lake Brienz or Lake Thune within this schedule?[/quote]

Hello, Kinjal,

Concerning your question: I think you could include a boat trip on April 23. Maybe it would be better to leave Grindelwald a bit earlier? Information about boat trips on the lakes can be found here.

Enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2012 at 17:18:50 #835366

Hello Wandermann,

Thank you very much for your beautiful insights. We have made a slight change in plans. We are arriving Wengen on 21st around 11 am. We have planned to take a cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen, hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, take Jungfraubahn from Kl. Scheidegg to Jungfrau, return to Kl. Scheidegg, take gondola from Kl. Scheidegg to Wengen.

Will starting at 11 be too late for making the trip as we don’t want to hurry a lot and make some photo stops on the way?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kinjal

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 March 2012 at 6:34:38 #835367

Hello Kinjal,

Please first check whether the Männlichenbahn is operational during your stay! As far as I can see it will still be closed. So another possibility would be taking the train to Kleine Scheidegg and up to Jungfraujoch. On your way back along the same route, you could walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp. That’s a nice and easy walk. This can be done starting at around 11.00 am. The Timetable will help you planning your trip.

Good luck with your preparations!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2012 at 8:47:44 #835368

Hello Wandermann,

You are right about the Mannlichenbahn being closed during that time. How do we return to Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen from Wengernalp? And, is there any other possibilities of reaching Mannlichen and taking the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg as there are very nice reviews of that walk or is the walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp is just as nice?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kinjal

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    29 March 2012 at 10:29:03 #835369

Hi Kinjal,

If the cable car from Wengen and gondolas from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen are closed, there’s no other safe way to reach it. The hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp (see link in former post) goes along the rail track from Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen. You pick up the train at Wengernalp railway station. Although I prefer the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, the one from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp (along the foot of the Jungfrau) is impressive too!

• The thread ‘3 Day 2 Nights Trip to Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.