3 days in June Bern and Thun trip report

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 21:38:43 #816807

My daughter and I just returned from Germany-Austria-Switzerland last week. We have never been out of the country before this and let me tell you Switzerland is INCREDIBLE!

If I ever get the energy to travel abroad again I would be happy just spending a week in Switzerland alone. The scenery is beyond anything I imagined.

The Swiss Travel Pass, although pricey, is totally worth it. So nice to hop on/off trains and it did become fairly easy to get the hang of it. We spent our two nights in a hotel in Bern which I know is a little more touristy, but with a teenage girl who loves to shop and see people, this was great. We navigated the smaller in-town train which stopped right at our hotel and the scenery is so picturesque it’s like looking at postcards! So many great places things to see. Our first day was really just Bern itself.

Our second day we took a train to Thun and then a bus to Buchholterberg (where our ancestors hail) and the church pastor of this small town spent five hours with us in the countryside! He hosted us for lunch with his family, drove us to a few other small towns where our ancestors are from. He drove us back to Thun (adorable and fun to walk through) and we used our pass to train over to Interlaken West. We only stayed a moment and shopped and then took the 2-hour boat ride (included in the pass) back to Thun We saw a small smidge of Jungfraujoch mountain with snow but that’s about it. But the other alps are incredible! So many neat sites on the boat.

Then back to Bern. Our last day we trained to Langnau (more heritage) it was a little more low key but this was our last day and we were pretty exhausted. I know they have cheese farm tours and such but we opted to just walk around and have lunch. My only issues are that everyone charges for water (yikes) so if you eat out, take a water bottle with you otherwise you pay $4.00 for a glass of water! And no ice! Yes meals are very pricey…but their little markets at the stations have great options…fresh fruits, sandwiches, etc. I wish we would have taken advantage of that a little more but our hotels had no fridge or way of keeping food in the room. It was an amazing trip.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:12:39 #889043

Hi davismavis3,

thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated.

Sounds like a great trip. The Swiss are always accommodating aren’t they? I hope you get back soon.

hannahsmom
    Participant
    16 posts
    23 June 2018 at 3:20:26 #889044

Davismavis3,

I had the same reaction two years ago on a Germany, France, Switzerland trip. It is incredible. Ive been to many beautiful places, but the beauty of the Swiss Alps is mindblowing! We knew instantly we had to return to Switzerland. Our 4 days in the Alps wasn’t enough, so we’re returning in August for 2 full weeks.

It is expensive for food and restaurant water, but the grocery store restaurants definitely help out with the budget.

We met a nice older couple from Florida there last time, who had vacationed there every year for 22 years! We definitely won’t break their record, but will return as often as we can.

Leah

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2018 at 19:20:21 #889045

Hi Davismavis –

<<“I would be happy just spending a week in Switzerland alone.”>>

Is that all? Why so little? 😉

Next time you could go in closer to the Jungfrau………and staying in the villages is quite pleasantly different from staying in a city.

Glad to hear that you found a way to see the various small towns that we discussed at length. I, too, have found many Swiss to be very helpful and friendly. It’s one of the reasons that I pay back by helping on this forum.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘3 days in June Bern and Thun trip report’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.