3 days in Switzerland in May – best places to go?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2016 at 20:54:05 #808436

Hi! My family of 5 adults will be traveling from Paris on the morning of May 11th, and flying to London the evening of May 14th (haven’t booked the flight home yet but planning to fly out of Zurich or Geneva) = 2 half days and 2 full days. This is such a short time, but I would really like to see as much as possible while we’re here.

I’ve done lots of research but am at a loss on where to go. Thinking of doing Lucerne and Interlaken and one other place – would like to visit the town and mountains, do a half-day hike somewhere, take the Golden Pass Train (don’t know much about this yet). Will take any and all suggestions for a 3 day itinerary with the best place to be on May 14th for our return flight to London, including places to visit, how to get there, and where to stay. Thanks!

Please let me know if you need any other specifics to be more helpful!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 February 2016 at 7:04:48 #848512

Hi rachgo729, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You could have a wonderful time by just staying in Lucerne. There enough to do there for weeks. You’ll be close to the mountains but also to museums.

Another option is to stay in Lucerne, then take half the Golden Pass line to Interlaken and stay there. Or, take the full Golden Pass line to Montreux and they there (makes sense if you fly out or into Geneva).

A 3-day Glacier Express tour would be an entirely different option.

The links will give you lots of additional information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2016 at 15:46:29 #848513

Hi Arno! Thank you for your reply. I’ve done more research and am thinking that we should go to the Interlaken, Murren, and Gimmelwald areas. Can you tell me if my itinerary makes sense and any changes or updates you would suggest?

May 11th – take train from Paris to Interlaken (spend the day here and stay in Interlaken)

May 12-13th- take train (not sure which?) from Interlaken to Murren (stay in Murren on nights of May 12th and May 13th); do an easy hike from Murren (North Face trail) to Gimmelwald and take train back to Murren

May 14th – take train to Zurich to fly out

Would you suggest staying in Gimmelwald instead of Murren? Any other suggestions you would make?

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 February 2016 at 18:32:54 #848514

Hi again rachgo729,

If you want to stay in the mountains, then go straight to Mürren. Interlaken is more like a gateway to the region: easy train connections, lots of shops, but it’s not in the mountains, nor is there a lot to see in the town itself (check the link I gave you before). I would not recommend Gimmelwald. It’s not more than a few houses. A beautiful place, but not very convenient.

Don’t count on doing the Eiger Trail in May. It probably won’t be accessible because of snow. It opens in mid June on average. Trails below 2000 m should be accessible, but you won’t know for sure until you’re there. Please find suggestions on the Interlaken page.

A Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi might be the best rail pass for you. In that case you only need a ticket from Paris to Basel as the rest is covered by that pass.

• The thread ‘3 days in Switzerland in May – best places to go?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.