4 day trip to Swiss Alps for college students

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 14:16:26 #819110

Hello-

I have read through you post and they appear to be super helpful.

I am helping my son plan a 4 day holiday trip to Ski in Switzerland January 10th to 14th. He has never been to skiing in Europe and wants to experience the Swiss Alps. He is traveling with another student from Paris. I have reservations for 3 nights in Wengen Thurs -Sunday and 1 night Zurich where they fly out of Monday am.

The goal is to ski -tow days and experience a Swiss village. The thought was he would take the train from Paris to Basel and then on to Wengen. I see it is tricky to get to Wengen – 3 trains from Paris and costly which leaves more room for missing connections. It looks like they will arrive after 5 pm which the hotel doesn’t pick up after 5pm. Ultimately they both need to fly out of Zurich at 9 am Monday.

My first question is since he is traveling from Paris Thursday and flying out of Zurich Monday do you have another recommendation than the Jungfrau area ? They just need to be in Zurich late Sunday eve. Do you recommend Wengen or Grindelwald for students – Age 21 ? I know Interlaken is close should they stay Thursday night there since they get in early evening and head up to Wengen early am – check in and ski the day ?

Any advise would be appreciated -thank you,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 19:44:56 #899976

Hi Cflick and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think Wengen is a fine choice. Perhaps Interlaken could work out as well as it is larger with perhaps more bar choices for them? 🙂 Otherwise I’d normally recommend Wengen or Grindelwald – much more picturesque and much more convenient for skiing.

Wengen is a small village and they could take a taxi to the hotel if they have a lot of gear and can’t get picked up.

You can find connection details on trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable – if they miss the a train connection after arriving in Switzerland (Basel) they can catch the next train onward – you’ll find they run quite regularly)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2018 at 0:19:26 #899977

<<“after 5 pm which the hotel doesn’t pick up after 5pm. “>>

That is really surprising.

Have you contatced the hotel directly by phone?

Which hotel? It may be close to the station.

Wengen is a small town….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 17:28:13 #899978

Thank you for the tips I think we will stick with Wengen. I also contacted the hotel they were very nice and said they’d be glad to pick up after five.

• The thread ‘4 day trip to Swiss Alps for college students’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.