4 days in switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2011 at 3:07:59 #804257

Hi, My wife and I are travelling with our 1and half yr.old son to switzerland. We will be staying in interlaken. here is our itenerary. Can we take our toddler to Jungfrau? Would appreciate feedback on our itenerary.

1 June
    Interlaken
    Flight arrives at 8.45 am to Zurich. Take train to Interlaken. Reach around lunch time 12-1pm. Explore Interlaken. Check out golden pass line. See lakes around Interlaken, visit Hohewag in the evening.
    2-Jun
    Lucerne – MT.TITLIS
    After breakfast, travel to Lucerne. 2 hour journey. From there, Take train to Engelberg, and from there cable cars to Mount titlis. Ascending the world’s first revolving gondola ROTAIR, ride the flyer chairlift and see the ICE GROTTO. Back to Lucerne by 4-5pm. See Lion Monument, Chapel bridge, lake Lucerne.
    3-Jun
    Zermett
    After breakfast, travel through Bernese Oberland and the Lotschberg to Brig and then further to Zermatt. From Zermett take train called Glacier express- a picturesque route.
    4-Jun
    Interlaken-Jungfrau
    After breakfast, proceed for an excursion to Jungfraujoch ( 11,000 feet)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 April 2011 at 11:13:35 #832688

Hello faisal, and welcome! I’m not aware of any restrictions for toddlers traveling up to the Jungfraujoch. You should pay attention to early signs of high altitude sickness though, but that goes for adults as well. As for the rest of your itinerary: it’s quite full, but if you want to explore a lot of the country in a few days and don’t mind traveling a lot, that’s fine. A note on June 1 and 2: the Golden Pass line runs between Lucerne and Interlaken, so you probably want to travel from Zurich to Interlaken via Lucerne. This means that you’ll pass Lucerne on your way to Interlaken, so it may be easier to spend your first night in or near Lucerne and visit Mt. Titlis and the city of Lucerne that day. In the evening, or next morning, you could travel onto Interlaken.

I’m not sure of your exact plans for June 3. You wouldn’t be able to ride the entire Glacier Express route from Zermatt (that’s all the way up to St. Moritz) and return to Interlaken the same day. So I think you intend to ride only part of this route, for example up to Andermatt, and to return to Interlaken from there? If weather is great, you could also choose to get up to the Gornergrat once you’re in Zermatt, as this offers great views of the Matterhorn and surrounding mountains. The ride takes quite some time though, so you’d have to return to Interlaken taking the quickest route (which is not by Glacier Express) afterwards.

You can use the timetable to plan your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2011 at 8:14:15 #832689

Thanks for your response. I have 2 more queries. I plan to buy swiss saver pass for train travel. Does it cover golden pass line, glacier express and trains to mt titlis and jungfrau? secondly, could you suggest names of grocery stores (not too costly) around interlaken

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    28 April 2011 at 8:42:10 #832690

Hello Faisal,

On the Swiss Pass page you will find a link to the Swiss Saver Pass. There’s a lot of information to be found on both pages. A Swiss (Saver) Pass covers the Golden Pass Line and the Glacier Express, but you will have to make reservations, which will cost you a bit extra. The train to Mt. Titlis is free with a Swiss (Saver) Pass until Engelberg, and you will receive a 50% discount for the rest of the track.
    As for Jungfrau: you will travel for free to Wengen or Grindelwald, after that you get a 25% discount to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch.

Larger grocery stores around and in Interlaken are Coop (near Interlaken Ost Station) and Migros (near Interlaken West Station) – but more information and tips about (cheaper) shops can be found on this page.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2011 at 12:14:45 #832691

Thanks a lot for the info. Would just like to know if i can get reservation in the trains on the spot or i need to book in advance?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 April 2011 at 14:27:09 #832692

Hi Faisal,

No, you can’t make reservations in the train. You would have to make your reservations in advance and my suggestion would be to do this as soon as it suits you.

Early June isn’t the main season yet, but it is a general advice to make reservations rather early, just to make sure you are able to make the train trip you planned.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2011 at 6:26:44 #832693

Thanks ! I have another thought. Would it be a good idea to do either Jungfrau or mt titlis considering i have just 3-4 days? Which is better? Also, i can include maybe rhine falls ? which is the best way to reach there?

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2011 at 8:54:31 #832694

Hi Faisal,

Both are very different. The views are different and the journey is different: cable car (Titlis) or cog railway (Jungfrau). I would prefer the Jungfrau if I had to choose, because of it’s impressive location and railway.

To plan trips, please check the timetable. Enter “Neuhausen, Rheinfall” as your destination to plan a trip to the Rhine Falls.

• The thread ‘4 days in switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.