4 days itinerary to Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 10:52:16 #807865

Hi All,

I find this forum very useful and hence requesting you to give your inputs on my Swiss plan. Below is my plan

• 11th Sep: Reach Basel by flight by 9:30AM. Travel to Zurich, check in at the hotel and travel to Rhine falls. If time permits, local sight seeing in Zurich? (Night stay in Zurich)
    • 12th Sep: Travel to Lucerne, check in at the hotel and travel to Mt Titlis. If time permits, local sightseeing in Lucerne?(Night stay in Lucerne)
    • 13th Sep: Travel to Interlaken, check in at the hotel and travel to Jungfraw (Night stay in Interlaken)
    • 14th Sep: Please suggest plan for this day. Please note that I need to take flight from Basel at 20:40

Please let me know you inputs/suggestions on the plan. I also heard about Glacier express train trip. Please let me know if this can fit it my plan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 September 2015 at 6:00:25 #845854

Hi Sriram,

I would go straight to Lucerne after the Rhine Fall. That saves time on changing hotels. There’s plenty to do and see in Lucerne. On day 4 I would suggest to travel to Basel in the afternoon and have the morning in the Jungfrau region. It gives you a bit of flexibility as you need good weather for the Jungfraujoch trip, so you can either do it on day 3 or early morning on day 4. There are lots of suggestions for things to do on our Lucerne and Interlaken pages. The Glacier Express does not fit in your plan. It takes too long and it’s too far away.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 8:31:18 #845855

Thanks a lot Arno for your response.

My hotels are booked. So, I cannot reach Lucerne after the RhineFall. But if day2 is going to be hectic, I would need to start early to Lucerne.

Regarding Jungfraujoch trip, can you tell me approximately how long it will take for a return trip from Interlaken? I would like to know this because I need to take return flight from Basel at 20:40 and I’m not sure if I can make it with Jungfraujoch trip on day 4. That is the reason why I planned Jungfraujoch trip on day 3

Please note that I’m planning to take round trip Interlaken Ost – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujochand on the way back: Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Zweilütschinen – Interlaken Ost. Seeking your expert suggestions on this

mistybabu
    Participant
    28 posts
    3 September 2015 at 16:47:58 #845856

Hi Sriram!

You must remember that most of the hotels have 3pm as check-in time and 12noon as check-out in that region, unless agreed earlier. But from our experience, we got early check-in at 11:30am at Zurich while at other places we could drop in luggage where locker facility was available, keys to room available only after 1pm. Since early start for day trips to mountains are recommended on the forum, it will be better if you are prepared to just drop your luggage and continue with the mountain trip. Have an enjoyable trip!

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 September 2015 at 17:01:14 #845857

The Jungfraujoch trip takes 2h15 one-way, regardless of the route. So you need to double that and add sightseeing time. If required, it can be done on day 4 if you leave early. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 8:16:32 #845858

Hi Arno,

As per my plan, Jungfraw can be covered either on 13th Sep or 14th Sep. But, weather seems to be bad on both the days. Please suggest if it is good idea to plan for Jungfraw in this weather. If not, please suggest me a backup plan for 13th Sep or 14th Sep. Please note that I booked hotel in Interlaken for these 2 days. Appreciate your inputs

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 September 2015 at 10:31:48 #845859

Hi Sriram,

Weather forecasts for more than 2 to 3 days ahead are no accurate, so you don’t need to worry yet. You’d better watch the forecast the evening before and then decide. Alternative activities are on our Interlaken page I gave you in my first reply.

• The thread ‘4 days itinerary to Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.