4 minute connection at St. Margrethen station

• Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 October 2021 at 11:22:50 #826202

Hi, I am travelling from Munich to Luzern. There is a change at St. Margrethen station where the connection time is only 4 minutes. I am arriving at Platform no. 2 and connecting train is from platform no.1. Could you please advise if 4 minutes is enough for the transfer time? I will have 1 large trolley bag with me as luggage. From what I could search on the net, the platforms are not adjacent and an overhead bridge will have to be used to reach platform 1.

Thanks, Sid

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 October 2021 at 15:55:56 #937019

Hi Sidver,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Normally this is possible. St Margrethen is a small train station and it shouldn’t take you more than 4 minutes to switch platform, although with a big luggage this may be a challenge. If you miss your connection, you can simply take the next train that travels to Lucerne if your ticket allows this . I reckon there should be a train every hour or half hour. Please check the timetable.

Have a look here for information on how to travel with Swiss rails: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2021 at 1:00:39 #937020

I worked in railway timetables in the past so I detected an oddity when I looked at the attachment you posted. My knowledge of Swiss railways also rang alarm bells that St Margrethen was an odd place to change trains.

So, here is what I deduce:

1) Your planner extract looks like it comes from DB German railways.

2) I think the the German system had not picked up the correct information from Swiss railways.

3) In the 2022 timetable the EC196 arrives at St Margrethen from Germany (at 11.09) a few minutes before a Swiss regional express from Chur to Zurich via St Margrethen arrives (11.13)

4) HOWEVER, to get to Luzern yu want to stay on the fast train as far as Zurich, and the change of trains would normally be at Zurich HB (HB = main station).

5) Because the Swiss train is far slower than EC196, DO NOT get off at St Margrethen. Remaining on EC196 will get you to Zurich HB in plenty of time to change into the relevant train to Luzern

6) Therefore your itinerary would be:

Munchen EC196 depart 08.55

Zurich HB arrive 12.27

Zurich HB depart 13.10 (train IR2625)

Luzern arrive 13.51

In fact you would have enough time to spend a moment or two in Zurich (the main shopping street Bahnhofstrasse is just opposite platform 1)

Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 October 2021 at 7:01:35 #937021

Thank you Anna. User 196oman has suggested to get off at Zurich instead of St. Margrethen. I will follow his advise.

Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 October 2021 at 7:04:38 #937022

Thanks a lot 196oman. I will follow your advice and get off at Zurich directly instead of St. Margrethen. Really appreciate your detailed and super helpful response.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 October 2021 at 7:13:15 #937023

Hi Sidver,

I agree. That is a good call.

You can check the details of your connections via the SBB timetable.

Regards,

Anna

Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 October 2021 at 7:17:17 #937024

Hi 196oman, I have another query related to the original question.

As your suggestion made perfect sense, I am trying to book Munich to Zurich train on SBB website. But it is also showing me the same connection (with transfer time of 4 minutes) via St. Margrethen. The journey date is 27th Dec’21. I have attached the image for your reference. Please suggest if there is an alternative route? Thanks in advance.

Edit- The direct Munich to Zurich train runs only till 11th Dec. After that there are no direct trains on SBB.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 October 2021 at 8:24:42 #937025

Hi Sidver,

Based on the screen grab, I think this quick change is possible. But if you miss your train, there is a connection at 11.22 am that will get you to Lucerne also at 13.51. However you will have to switch trains in St. Gallen and Zurich HB.

Regards,

Anna

Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 October 2021 at 11:08:34 #937026

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the prompt response. You are right and I will take the second option (via St. Gallen and Zurich). Even if there are 2 train changes, this seems less of a hassle than the 4 minute transfer. If the platforms 1&2 were adjacent at St. Margrethen , then I could have taken the direct train to Lucerne.

Regards, Sid

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2021 at 0:08:41 #937027

I have just inspected the 2022 timetable. There must be some engineering works affecting the line after the December 12 timetable change. I can see now that between end December and April 2022 the two trains Munchen – Zurich in the midday period are terminating at St Margrethen. That means your EC196 will indeed terminate at St Margrethen.

This means that you might as well change at St Margrethen. It is a small not very busy station so the short change time will not be a problem, especially as the change of trains will be mandatory for passengers from Munchen for the reason stated above, so you will be one of many people making the change which will presumably be made very clear by railway staff and announcements

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2021 at 0:26:05 #937028

By the way, the St Margrethen – Zurich main line is through the low altitude ‘flat’ part of North east Switzerland. If you change at St Margrethen and wait till the 10.47 you can take take the southerly route round to Zurich (it takes about the same time) . Take the southbound 10.47 IR13 route train and change at Sargans. This would be a more scenic route, passing down the Rhine valley with the Appenzell Alps on the right and Leichstenstein on the left (including the Prince’s castle). After Sargans the train up to Zurich passes the very scenic Walensee lake and runs along Lake Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2021 at 0:28:23 #937029

Note that according to the detailed timetable, the 10.13 train from St Margrethen is not a through train to Luzern. You would still change in Zurich

Sidver
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 October 2021 at 17:54:05 #937030

Hi 1960man, thanks for the response. I appreciate the insight you have provided and will book the scenic route you’ve suggested.

• The thread ‘4 minute connection at St. Margrethen station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.