5 days Switzerland trip with 1.5 yr old child

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 10:15:12 #809887

Hi ,

I am planning to visit Switzerland for a period of 5 days along with my wife and 1 and half year old kid.

Need your suggestion for the trip , what should we not miss while be easy on travel with a small kid .

For accommodation we prefer an apartment or hotel with kitchenette . Our current plan is as follows , please advise if the below schedule would be hectic or is it doable with kid and if you suggest something else :

• Day 1 (15th Sep): Arrive at Basel at 4:30 evening . Train to location of Stay (currently Lucerne)
    • Day 2 (16th Sep): Visit Titlis in morning and Pilatus in afternoon
    • Day 3 (17th Sep): Travel to Jungfrau
    • Day-4(18th Sep):Travel through Golden Pass. (Lucerne to Montreux!! , return !!)
    • Day 5 (19th Sep) : Train to Basel , visit basel

Please advise if above literary is doable or should be add or remove something. Please provide some info about Golden pass ( what trip we should take and how to reserve seat)

Thanking you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 13:56:50 #855157

Hi Ambrocks, thanks for joining us!

Whether your plans are doable depends a lot on how many hours you are willing to travel with such a young child. Lucerne is a good base to visit the Titlis and Pilatus. A return trip to Jungfraujoch however, requires 9 hours of sitting in trains. The Golden Pass line would require 8 hours. All of this is without any sightseeing, so in reality it will take even more time. I would focus on local sightseeing with a child. There is plenty to do and see: myswissalps.com/ lucerne.

All Golden Pass information is here: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 14:24:03 #855158

Hi Arno,

Thanks for you quick reply , How long does it take to jungfrau from Lucerne ? SBB app shows 3 hrs one way! and how much time required as well for Golden pass (again website shows 2.37 hrs from Lucerne to Montreux ) ? . We are confused for accommodation as well in Lucerne or Interlaken !!, could you please suggest some …

Regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 14:58:45 #855159

Hi Ambrocks,

The travel times I mentioned earlier are correct. As for Lucerne to Montreux I expect you are looking at the quickest route, not the Golden Pass route. Please check the page I referred to earlier as it explains it all.

As for accommodation: please first pick the town to stay in, then check the hotel & rental sections of the Lucerne and Interlaken pages. Note that apartments are usually rented from Saturday to Saturday only, but there are some exceptions. If you need further suggestions, then please post in the Accommodation forum and include the details request there. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 15:28:44 #855160

Hi Arno ,

Thanks again , I went through the Golden pass link , but didn’t able to find “Time” required for journey , I checked the “GoldenPass.ch" website and found time required is about 2.37 hrs (pic attached) . Thats why I am being confused ,

1- should we take whole route or should we choose one of the route (out of three) , if yes which one is the best .

2- As it is our first time in Swiss , I wanted some suggestion from the forum for trip planing and accommodation , we want to have memorable break .

please advise , should I put my question in different forum !!

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 15:32:44 #855161

In addition with above reply

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2016 at 16:58:46 #855162

Hi Ambrocks,

Please go to the Route tab of the Golden Pass page I referred to. The timetable section there explains how to find schedules for the correct route. That tab also describes the route so you can select the section of your interest.

Please look here for planning your trip. You can post additional questions here in this thread, and accommodation related questions as explained in my previous post.

• The thread ‘5 days Switzerland trip with 1.5 yr old child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.