6-day Eurail Global Pass, explore Switzerland

• PIRZADA190
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 June 2022 at 16:31:27 #827400

Hi All,

Appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions in advance.

I need help planning my trip with wife and 2 kids. Please suggest if i should get a Eurail Global pass for 7 day if my plan is below

Day 1 – Travel from Paris to Zurich – 2 nights in Zurich

Day 3 – Zurich to Interlaken – 2 nights in Interlaken

Day 5 & 6 are open

Day 7 to Venice – Day 7 (depart from Switzerland to Venice to start Italy trip.

I read in multiple threads that i will have to buy some tickets in switzerland as well because Eurail Global Pass does not work on everything

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:34:23 #942850

Hi PIRZADA190,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you’re planning to travel in multiple European countries and not just Switzerland, the Eurail Global Pass is a practical option. You can find more information about this pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass. Be sure to check out the validity map to see if the pass covers all the destinations in your itinerary.

Hope this gets you started.

regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2022 at 8:38:48 #942851

Hi PIRZADA190,

I agree with Anna that a Eurail Global Pass can be a good choice if you plan extensive traveling in France and Italy too. If not, it may be better to get a rail pass specifically for Switzerland, plus normal tickets or other passes for France and Italy. A Swiss Travel Pass for example provides better coverage for Switzerland than the Eurail Global Pass. You can compare validity here:

There are many possible railpasses and combinations. If you want to make sure what’s best for your plans, I recommend you read this guide: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

PIRZADA190
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 June 2022 at 16:30:42 #942852

I am staying in Paris for 4 days then need to go Switzerland for 6 day and on 7th day to Venice. So I need to get a ticket or pass from Paris to Zurich and then from Interlaken to Venice.

in Switzerland if Eurail pass does not let me sit on Domestic trains then will make Sense to buy Swiss pass alone.

day 1 – Paris to Zurich

Day 2-6 – within Switzerland

day 7 – from Switzerland to Venice.

does it make sense to buy Eurail pass for 7 days so it can cover my travel between Paris to Switzerland to Italy. And then buy tickets which are not covered in Switzerland domestic individually. Because Switzerland is where I am staying 6 nights

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 June 2022 at 19:18:54 #942853

Hi again,

What are your plans in Switzerland? If your plans include a lot of mountain excursions, a Swiss-specific railpass might make more sense as the Eurail Global Pass is only valid on selected mountain transportations. If your trip is focused mainly on exploring the various cities and towns using public transport and limited mountain transportation, then the Eurail Global Pass might provide the best value. It depends on your itinerary really.

Do check the guide on how to choose a railpass. The link is on Arno’s post.

Regards,

Anna

PIRZADA190
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 June 2022 at 20:20:56 #942854

Thank you Anna, we will be in Zurich for 3days and planning to go around Zurich. Then train to Interlaken and spend 2 nights there. From Interlaken we will take the train to Venice

PIRZADA190
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 June 2022 at 20:27:38 #942855

Hi Anna,

to be more specific this is so far we are planning.

take train from Paris to Zurich. Explore town for a day or 2 max

then take the train to Lucerne and explore town for day or 2.

the take train to Interlaken and spend 2 days.

lastly take train from Interlaken to Venice

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 June 2022 at 20:37:35 #942856

Hi PIRZADA190,

It seems like you might be using a lot more public transport rather than mountain transportation. So maybe a Eurail Global Pass might actually be practical. A detail itinerary would help you make a more informed decision about which railpass to get.

Here are links to sightseeing options in Zurich, Lucerne and Interlaken to give some ideas of what you can include n your itinerary:

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘6-day Eurail Global Pass, explore Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.