6 days in April by train from Geneva to Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2011 at 22:14:28 #804786

Hi,
    My husband and I will be taking the train from Lyon toZurich next April. We are in our 60s,like sightseeing, pretty villages, old towns. Not hikers.
    Could you advise on our plan?

Apr 8: Geneva or Montreux (1N) – which?
    Apr 9: Then to either Lauterbrunnen or Murren (2N) – which village?

Then not sure what to do for Apr 11 & 12:
    – 2N in either Lucerne or Berne or Zurich (which?)
    – 1N each in Lucerne & Zurich
    – 1N each in Berne & Zurich

So really need your advice to help us decide. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    24 November 2011 at 14:09:17 #834505

Hello MadMax, and welcome to the forum. As for choosing the right resorts: that’s always a matter or personal preference. I think it’s important to take a look at tourism websites of the resorts you mention and see what appeals to you.

Will you be arriving by train in Geneva first? In that case, it’s hard to choose between Geneva and Montreux. Montreux is located a bit more centrally, especially if you want to visit (the western side of) the Rhone valley. But both towns are charming.

In terms of location, Lauterbrunnen makes more sense than Mürren, as Mürren can only be reached by cable car. By the way, consider taking the Golden Pass line when traveling from Geneva/Montreux to Lauterbrunnen!

If you plan to visit the Jungfrau region during your stay in Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne would be a logical next resort, as that allows you to explore yet another great mountain area.

The timetable helps you to find out about traveling times and routes. Hotels can be found here. And since you plan to travel by train, you’ll definitely profit from one of the Swiss rail passes.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2011 at 17:23:13 #834506

Thanks Annika, that’s very helpful.

Yes, will take your advice on the Golden Pass line, Montreux and Lauterbrennen. Think we’ll spend the extra nights there so has not to have too many hotel changes. So we’ll just have to go back to see the rest another time!!

One more question if you don’t mind – I know it’s hard to predict, but based on past experience, will there still be snow on the ground in Lauterbrennen, or will it be clear by April 8 – or mushy?

MadMay

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 November 2011 at 10:06:19 #834507

Hi MadMay! Generally, there won’t be snow down in the valley by April; the first spring vegetation will have started growing by then. But you’re right, one can never be sure, and an extremely cold or wet winter/spring season may still leave some snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2011 at 17:45:03 #834508

Thank you Annika, I’ll just take my normal walking shoes and hope for the best.

• The thread ‘6 days in April by train from Geneva to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.