7 day swiss trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2013 at 2:58:04 #805868

Hi All,
    We are family of 4 me, my husband and my 2 kids( one 4 and one 10 year old). We are planning a 7 day trip to switzerland.The draft itinary is

night stay places to see day 1 zurich zurich, rhine falls, Grossmunster Church, Limmat River and Lake Zurich day2 luzren mt pilatus day 3 luzren mt titlis, engelberg, the Titlis Rotair day4 luzren Lion Monument and the oldest wooden bridge in the world, The Chapel Bridge day 5 interlaken jungfrau(Sphinx observation tower ), wengen,grindelwald day 6 interlaken bern(lively medieval streets, view The Clock Tower and The Parliament House) day 7 interlaken golden pass route from luzren to montreux, geneva(United Nations building; Flower Clock and one of the highest fountains in the world)

Does this look ok and feasible with kids ? Can I manage the whole itinary with Swiss pass ? Is there anything which I am missing which might be like favourite for kids?
    What means of transport is recommended for local city tours of zurich and geneva.

Thanks for your help.
    Regards
    Swati

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 March 2013 at 15:05:48 #838284

Welcome Swati! That looks like a good plan. It will be busy, but doable. The rides up to viewing points such as Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch can be real fun for kids. If you have time, or if weather is bad, don’t forget the Traffic Museum in Lucerne; they’ll love it. You’ve listed quite some highlights, so no, I don’t think you’re missing out on anything. All I would advise is to make some back-up plans in case weather isn’t good enough to spend money on Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch. Alternatives for the Jungfrau region are the Aare gorge, Trümmelbach falls, Beatus caves, etc. They’re described here. From Lucerne, you could also visit the Shoggiland chocolate factory in Flawil: it’s a 2 hour train ride. All trips can be planned through the timetable. By the way, I assume you won’t actually be traveling from Lucerne to Montreux on day 7, leaving from Interlaken? That would be quite a detour. You can do the first leg of the Golden Pass train on day 4 or 5, using it for your transfer from Lucerne to Interlaken. Just travel via the Brünig Pass and Meiringen.

Yes, most or your journey is covered by an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass. The children will travel along for free on all routes with the free Swiss Family Card. You’ll only need additional ticket for mountain routes. Please review details, including a downloadable validity map, at the Swiss Saver Pass page. Urban transportation in Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and Geneva (mostly buses, in some case trams) is included too. One last tip: in order to save money you could replace either Pilatus or Titlis by the Rigi, as the entire trip up to Rigi is for free with your Swiss Saver Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2013 at 6:24:41 #838285

Hi,
    This is my follow up email. I would wnat to do Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch. We had plans of travelling to Switzerland from 6 May to 14 May. But we are flexible and can change our dates to little later dates in May if you think that Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch would ahve bad weather in early part of may.
    My kids are very excited about Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch so, would not wnat to change the itinary. Can you pls suggest better time in May when the weather would be good to travel to Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch.

You pointed coorectly on day 4 or 5 we plan to take golden pass route to come to interlaken from luzren. Than on day 7 move from interlaken to geneva via montreux using the same train. Our idea is to move to Zurich from Interlaken. We want to see UN buildings and local Zurich before we finish our vacations.

I plan to purchase swiss 8 day pass and family card. Is there any place where I can check what would be additional costs of trips to Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfraujoch individually .

Regards
    Swati

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2013 at 6:32:26 #838286

Hi,
    Sorry insted of Zurich it is Geneva would be the city we would wnat to finsih our vacation

Regards
    Swati

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2013 at 6:50:19 #838287

Hi,
    Also wanted to ask , I think I will get some spare time in zurich,interlaken,geneva and Luzern to take boat rides in the lakes. I think they must be beautiful ones. Do we need to buy extra tickets for them or just arriving at boat departure points works fine?

Sorry for so many questions.

Regards
    Swati

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 March 2013 at 6:56:29 #838288

Hi Swati. It’s very hard, if not impossible, to predict anything about the weather next May. You can have beautiful Spring weather all week long, simply have bad luck and anything in between. Generally, temperatures will be higher by the end of May, but chances of precipitation are higher too. Averages such as these provide some information, but don’t guarantee anything for the week you plan to visit. One thing you can take into account: do you plan to make the Golden Round trip when visiting the Pilatus (up by cog train from Alpnachtstad and down by cable car to Kriens)? If so: the cog train only operates in May if the track can be sufficiently cleared of snow, and chances of this will generally improve in the course of May.

Prices can be found at the Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfrau websites. Half fare prices apply to Pilatus and Titlis with a Swiss Pass; get 25% off for the Jungfraujoch up from Wengen/Grindelwald (the remaining part of the route is for free).

• The thread ‘7 day swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.