4th May : Milan to Chur via the Bernina Express, staying at Chur

5ht May: Chur to Interlaken area, with a few hours in Bern

6th May: Interlaken Area, Murren- Schilthorn trip

7th May: Interlaken Area, local hike, boating in Thun or Brienz

8th May: Lucerne

9th May: Lucerne, Titlis trip

10th May: Lucerne, Mt Rigi or local sights

11th May: Lucerne to Milan

I am looking for some suggestions for things to do in Interlaken area. I was planning on staying in Wengen, but seems the cableway to MannLichen is closed during the period, which also means I wont be able to do the männlichen to kleine scheidegg trek.

Does it still make sense to stay there, given that a lot of the hotels are also closed. I guess restaurant options could also be limited.

Any suggestions on easy treks in the area, ideally paths which are unlikely to be muddy at that time of the year?

Does it make sense to avoid this area in early May, and instead visit Montreux or somewhere else?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 9:13:23 #876482

Hi VikasICI,

Yes, at that time of year hiking will be limited in the Jungfrau region and any region in Switzerland with hikes over 2000 meters or so under that you may be lucky. we have however, gotten a lot of snow this winter so I think you’ll have a hard time with hikes in early May this year. We have a list of hikes in the Jungfrau region noted here – again you’ll be best off checking locally when you are there to see if they are open.

There are of course still things to do and see there especially for just 2 nights; so I’m not sure I’d switch to Montreux just for that reason.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 4:20:13 #876483

Would you recommend staying in wengen during that period or would the valley towns be better or even Interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 9:24:53 #876484

I think I’d still look at Wengen even if it is a little quiet – can’t beat the scenery!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 13:38:18 #876485

That’s all the reassurance I need! Wengen it is.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 6:43:59 #876486

On 8th May I will be travelling from Wengen to Luzern. I was wondering if I can fit in a visit to Giessbach falls or Reichenbach fallls along the way. Please let me know if this is feasible and which one is preferred?

Also, would the cable car/ funicular for either of these places be open at that time?

I would be travelling with luggage, so will there be a provision to store the luggage at Merringen or someplace in between?

If it is not feasible to do this detour enroute to Luzern, then I will consider doing a roundtrip from Interlaken with train for one way and boat on the way back.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 13:48:32 #876487

The Reichenbach Falls funicular opens on May 4, so you will be fine. There are small lockers at the train station in Meiringen. During the opening time of the sales outlet, it’s possible to deposit bigger luggage there.

You can reach the Giessbach Falls by train (Brienz) and then a short boat trip to Giessbach. Read more: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/giessbach-iseltwald/route. It looks though that the funicular isn’t operating. Only as of July.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 15:02:07 #876488

Thanks. Does it make sense to visit Giessbach falls if there is no funicular service or is that just an added attraction?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 15:45:08 #876489

You can actually still visit them. There’s a hiking path too to go even closer to the falls.

• The thread ‘Early May in Jungfrau region: 7 day trip plan help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.