Feb 12, 2016 - 4:24 PM
Me and my wife (35 yrs old from Asia) is planning a 7day 6 night trip to Switzerland. We decided to have our base at 3 places (Zermatt-Lauterbrunnen-Schaffhausen). The below is what we planned and seek for advice and comments if we can do it better:
Day 1 - 29 May [Stay at Zermatt] Arrival at 9am in Geneva Airport, travel by train to Geneva - Cornavin, store luggage at train station, will need to look for a Salt prepaid data SIM card (if shops are open on Sunday). Walk around Jet D'eau and have a simple lunch. Travel by train to Zermatt via Visp before evening. Check-in to hotel in Zermatt and stroll around Zermatt town.
Day 2 - 30 May [Stay at Zermatt] Day trip to Matterhorn via Gornergrat (if weather permits).
Day 3 - 31 May [Stay at Lauterbrunnen] Take the earliest scenic train (Glacier Express) to Andermatt, then proceed with normal train to Bern (back again to Brig route) - just wonder whether it is worth the few hours to take the scenic train on GE. Travel by train to Lauterbrunnen (via Interlaken Ost) and check-in to hotel.
Day 4 - 1 June [Stay at Lauterbrunnen] Day trip to Jungfraujoch via Kleine Scheidegg (top of europe) if weather permits. If time permits as well, will make a short visit to Wengen or Murren in the evening if possible.
Day 5 - 2 June [Stay at Lauterbrunnen] Day trip to Grindelwald and Mt. First if weather permits. First-Lake Bachalpsee hiking.
Day 6 - 3 June [Stay at Schaffhausen] Travel by train to Bern, store luggage at Bern station, walk around the city and have early lunch.Continue travel by train to Schaffhausen and walk around the old town and check-in to hotel.
Day 7 - 2 June [Depart from Zurich Airport] Morning trip to Rhinefall. Check-out from hotel. Travel to Zurich for lunch and proceed to Airport for an evening flight.
- Would like to confirm that sunset during late May / early June will be around 9pm.
- Concern about weather - is light parka (water-resistant) plus inner-wear and t-shirt will be sufficient during hiking or daily walk (probably not on mountain top)? Water + snow proof trailing shoe instead of hiking shoe will be sufficient?
- Swiss Half Fare Card may be a cheaper choice for my case (thanks to the excel template) instead of Swiss Travel Pass.
- Any suggestion for scenic boat trips?
- Any better attractions that we missed out?
We are grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.