8 day Swiss Travel Pass - upgrade to 1st?

8 day Swiss Travel Pass - upgrade to 1st?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Suzharvs
Suzharvs
1 post
Jun 19, 2018 - 7:38 AM

Hello

I am currently researching Train Passes for our time in Switzerland. It is exactly 8 days. We fly into Zurich travelling straight to Grindelwald for 5 nights then onto Lucerne for 2 nights. Then travelling back to Zurich to fly out. From my research to date it seems the most convenient and probably cost effective pass is the 8 day travel pass which should cover us for almost all travel, is this correct? I am looking for advise on purchasing either 1st or 2nd class and wondering if it is easy to upgarde on the day and per ticket to 1st class if we feel the need. Or is it worth just purchasing 1st class for our entire 8 days? I ask as I am guessing that buses and boats don't have 1st class only trains?

Thanks so much! Suz

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Jun 19, 2018 - 6:05 PM in reply to Suzharvs

Hi Suz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass will cover most of your trips - see the list and PDF map here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

For differences between 1st and 2nd classes on trains look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ 2nd1stclass. The is no 1st class on buses, and a few trains. 1st class on boats is the upper deck (which is often nicer). You can indeed upgrade as you see fit while you travel. You'll ask for an upgrade ticket at the rail office (1/2 the price difference between 1st and 2nd class ticket on that route). 1st can be nice in the busy summer season as it is less crowded!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018