8 day Swiss Travel Pass – upgrade to 1st?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 7:38:05 #816743

Hello

I am currently researching Train Passes for our time in Switzerland. It is exactly 8 days. We fly into Zurich travelling straight to Grindelwald for 5 nights then onto Lucerne for 2 nights. Then travelling back to Zurich to fly out. From my research to date it seems the most convenient and probably cost effective pass is the 8 day travel pass which should cover us for almost all travel, is this correct? I am looking for advise on purchasing either 1st or 2nd class and wondering if it is easy to upgarde on the day and per ticket to 1st class if we feel the need. Or is it worth just purchasing 1st class for our entire 8 days? I ask as I am guessing that buses and boats don’t have 1st class only trains?

Thanks so much! Suz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 18:05:28 #888755

Hi Suz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass will cover most of your trips – see the list and PDF map here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

For differences between 1st and 2nd classes on trains look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ 2nd1stclass. The is no 1st class on buses, and a few trains. 1st class on boats is the upper deck (which is often nicer). You can indeed upgrade as you see fit while you travel. You’ll ask for an upgrade ticket at the rail office (1/2 the price difference between 1st and 2nd class ticket on that route). 1st can be nice in the busy summer season as it is less crowded!

• The thread ‘8 day Swiss Travel Pass – upgrade to 1st?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.