8 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2011 at 21:08:32 #804683

Hi,

I will be in Switzerland with my friend for 8 days(19th oct to 25th oct) and need advice in my planning.

18th late night : arrive at Geneva
    25th evening : depart from zurich

I am planning to spend 1 or 2 days at the following places:
    – Geneva
    – lucerne
    – Zermatt
    – Bern
    – Interlaken (2 days)

Can you advise if 8 days Swiss pass is the best option?

Does the regional train take the same route as the Glacier express train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 September 2011 at 9:49:07 #834156

Hi xiaob,

Yes, an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 people would fit perfectly. There are indeed regular trains on the Glacier Express route as well (Zermatt – Brig – Andermatt – Chur – St. Moritz). The timetable allows you to find all available trains. All of them can be used with the Swiss Pass.

Purchase options can be found on the Swiss Pass page (fill out your country and travelers to see all available resellers).

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2011 at 10:25:08 #834157

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have a few more questions:
    1. Does the swiss saver pass include any Rhine cruise for free?
    2. Could you kindly suggest a few scenic train routes that I should not miss in Switzerland?
    3. Is there any factory outlet shopping in Switzerland? If there is, can I have the directions?

Annika
    7103 posts
    4 September 2011 at 4:38:13 #834158

Hello xiaob!

1. Many boat trips on Swiss lakes (such as lake Constance in the north) are for free with a Swiss Pass. Rhine cruises in Germany are not included. Just take a look at the map we link to from the Swiss Pass page for an exact overview of validity.

2. Scenic trips that would fit well in your itinerary are the Golden Pass line (when traveling from Geneva to Lucerne, or between Lucerne and Interlaken) and the Lötschberg Regio Express (when traveling between Interlaken and Zermatt). From Interlaken and Lucerne great cog rail trips can be made. Examples are Rigi near Lucerne and the Jungfraujoch near Interlaken.

3. Information on outlet shopping can be found in this topic and this one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2011 at 2:04:25 #834159

Hi,

My plan :

Day 1 – Tour Basel and stay at Geneva
    Day 2 – Geneva, stay at Interlaken
    Day 3 – Interlaken (base here for 3 nights)
    Day 4 – Visit Lucern and Bern
    Day 5 – Interlaken
    Day 6 – Travel to Zermatt
    Day 7 – Travel to Lugano
    Day 8 : Travel to Zurich airport

1) Can you advise how I should go to Jungfrau and Mt Titlis?

2) Is it too tight to visit Lucern and Bern in the same day?

3) Is Lugano a big town? I intend to spend half a day in Lugano town and the remaining on the train ride to Chur. Is this too tight?

4) Base on my plan, will it be more economical to get a combination of regional pass than swiss 8 days saver pass?

5) Can Euro Global pass(15 days) be used on any rail transportation in Switzerland?

6) Are Euro rail pass holders entitled to the same discount as Swiss pass holders?
    (50% discount on most mountain railways and cableways (except the Jungfraujoch: 25% discount)

Thank you.
    min

Annika
    7103 posts
    10 September 2011 at 3:06:28 #834160

Hello xiaob,

I’ll try to answer your questions below:

1) If you enter “Jungfraujoch” or “Kleintitlis” as your destination in the timetable, all options will be shown.

2 & 3) If you settle for a first impression of these towns, it can be done. In that case you would just walk across the town centre, see some highlights, and skip time consuming things like museums, boat trips and guided tours.

4) You’ll be traveling all across Switzerland in a fairly short time, so regional passes would not work.

5) It can be used for most, but not all rail transport. Just check the map linked from the Eurail Global page.

6) Eurail provides less discounts than a Swiss Pass: just a few cable cars are covered and no museums for example. All details are on that same map.

• The thread ‘8 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.