A day in Ticino vs day trip to Saanen/Montreux

• chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    8 March 2018 at 15:52:14 #814674

Hi all,

Visa is approved so I can continue planning without feeling wary! 😀

Summary: 5 adults (3 of us coming from Basel on May12 afternoon, parents landing in Milan at 6pm). Main goal is to explore the Jungfrau region, planning to stay in Grindelwald due to low season.

Rough outline so far :

Staying in Grindelwald from 12-18 May. Leaving by train from Spiez to Milan on 18th.

As for the 6 days, we are planning to mainly cover the Jungfrau region

1) Lake Brienz/Thun cruise and Interlaken area (Harder Kulm in eve), 2)Lauterbrunnen and Jungfraojoch, 3) Murren-Stechelberg-(optional Schilthorn), 4) Wengen and some activities in First, 5) Day trip to Lucerne 6) extra ( point 1 might require 2 days)

Over the last few weeks, I have been wondering if it is worth adding one of the following –

a) a day trip to Montreux/Saanen (depending on STP vs BO regional pass)

b) Mom Dad can take train from Milano Centrale to Lugano, we can come to Lugano on Day 1 as well, and spend a night and the following day exploring the region, before moving to Grindelwald as base for remaining trip

Do any of these seem like good ideas? I have consciously been trying to minimize the area covered so we can enjoy each part enough instead of just running around all week. But a lot of the forum posts are much more ambitious in terms of area coverage than my original itinerary, so I figured it might be worth asking for opinion and advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 20:16:24 #878176

A day trip to Montreux on the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) is certainly worth considering from the Jungfrau Region.

Not sure why you are seeing Ticino and Montreux are either or. Why not both?

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    8 March 2018 at 21:52:35 #878177

Given 6 days and the number of excursions I listed above, it seems too ambitious to fit them both in, no? Can you help re-organize? (Also if we include Lugano, it might make more sense to switch from BO pass to STP, I suppose)

Thanks!

Chandni

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 22:03:59 #878178

Your point 1 above is easily doable in 1 day.

I just thought you might want to collect your parents but if they are comfortable to travel Milan to Interlaken then don’t bother with a day trip to Ticino.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 6:43:49 #878179

Hi Chandni,

It looks like a nice itinerary – I think you’d enjoy the Golden Pass to Montreux as well – gets you to see a little different scenery outside the Jungfrau region. But I’d agree that with your limited time I’d focus on the Jungfrau Region and just one other (Ticino is nice too – hard to choose!) to limit moving around as well.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    9 March 2018 at 16:46:38 #878180

Got it. Parents will be comfortable travelling by themselves, I was just wondering if I’m being too conservative by not including another scenic train journey (Gotthard Panoramic) and just sticking to the Golden Pass route for this trip.

Let me know if you guys think there is anything I can include with this itinerary that I might be missing.

Thanks once again for all your help!

• The thread ‘A day in Ticino vs day trip to Saanen/Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.