Aare gorge,Allmend alpine dairy,boots vs sneakers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 19:39:17 #821767

Hi! I was looking for help on three questions please!

1. How do you get from Meiringen to the Aare Gorge? We will actually be coming from Wengen, and it looks like Meiringen is the closest train station but wasn’t sure how to then get to the Aare Gorge? The pictures look like a great contrast to the traditional Swiss scenery (we would have spent around 5-8 days in Wengen and Lucern). Has anyone been to the Aare Gorge?

2. Has anyone been on a “visit to an alpine dairy” (alpine breakfast, cheese making, dairy farm?) such as the one suggested here?

jungfrauregion.swiss/e n/summer/product/event /visit-of-an-alpine-dairy/

I’m most interested in the one in Allmend, near Wengen, though there seems to be alpine dairy tours near other towns (such as Justistal)

3. We (adult and 9 year old daughter) intend to do the following “hikes/walks” and visit the following mountains in late June/early July:

– Visiting: Mt Pilatus, Mt Titlus, possibly Mt Rigis, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn,

– Walks: Allmendhubel flower walk from Murren, Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen waterfall walk, Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg-Wengen, First-Bachalpsee-Bort, Aare Gorge, possibly Magisalp-Bidmi (Muggestutzweg Dwarf Trail)

Obviously its great to have hiking boots but they can be bulky and heavy. Also the photos that I have seen of these walks look like pretty easy trails, but I’m not familiar with all the walks. I was curious if these hikes require hiking boots or if sneakers/running shoes are adequate.

Thank you for any thoughts!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 20:09:09 #912995

For the trails you mention, sneakers should be sufficient if the weather is dry and if you hike as a group (so that if an ankle gets twisted, the others can organize the rescue).

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 May 2019 at 10:03:45 #912996

Hi Seeyoubye,

The Aare gorge actually has two train stops: Aareschlucht West and Aareschlucht Ost. If you will these out in the timetable it will show you how to get there: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

• The thread ‘Aare gorge,Allmend alpine dairy,boots vs sneakers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.