Budget accommodation near Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 7:55:51 #804377

My Husband and I are traveling to Switzerland June 2nd to June 6th. We have decided to visit Lausanne, Bern, and Matterhorn area (Zermatt). Our trip looks like somthing like this…
    June 2nd- Fly into Geneva; Travel to Lausanne by boat; Spend evening in Lausanne

June 3rd- Morning in Lausanne; travel to Bern; Spend day and night in Bern

June 4th and 5th- Travel to Zermatt; Spend the next two days exploring, hiking, and viewing the Alps/Matterhorn

June 6th- Travel back to Geneva (Fly home).

We have been looking into accommodations, and noticed that Zermatt is quiet high. Are there any places/cities near that we could stay on a budget? We really want to spend time in the Alps and see/explore the Matterhorn. Thanks for any advice you could give us. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2011 at 12:07:14 #833109

We are also tempted to stay in Sion, or at least add it to the trip. Is that do-able? or are we trying to do too much?

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 May 2011 at 4:04:41 #833110

Hi Swis4! That sounds like a great plan to me, especially if you like to visit some towns as well. If staying in the mountains is more important to you, you could skip the visit to Bern and focus on the Zermatt region – you can easily spend weeks there without getting bored. But again: your itinerary is fine if you’re looking for a combination of sightseeing and great scenery. Sion can quite easily be visited from Zermatt. Just check the timetable for traveling times.

The budget tips may help you out in finding suitable accommodation. Zermatt is expensive indeed, althoug cheaper hotels can be found here as well. Examples are hotel Alpenstern and Hotel Bahnhof right across the rail station. Some others can be found through booking.com and our hotel page. Generally, towns more to the north of the Matter valley, such as Randa and St. Niklaus, are less expensive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2011 at 10:09:35 #833111

Thanks for your help! I’m really glad that this forum is here.

I have been looking into maybe doing Montreux instead of Sion, for our return. Or just spending the extra day in the Zermatt region. Which site has more culture/ is more popular site? Which would you recommend?

If we did Montreux, it would put us in the Zermatt region June 4th and 5th (basically one day as we would arrive and leave in the afternoons).
    On the 5th we would travel to Montreux and see the city and the Chillon Castle. Also spending the night.

Because my husband and I are doing the Swiss Youth 4-day pass, I was wondering which section of Lake Geneva would be best for a boat ride. We could do it on the first day (of our five days of travel) from Geneva to Lausanne paying for it out of pocket. Or we could do Montruex to Lausanne (or Geneva depending on time) our last day of travel (so our pass would cover the cost). Which part of the lake would you recommend… Geneva to Lausanne or Montreux to Lausanne?

Thanks for all your help! Our trip would not be the same without it. 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 May 2011 at 13:56:56 #833112

Hello Swis4,

I personally know Sion a bit better than Montreux. Sion has a nice old town centre. Montreux is more popular I think. It’s located at a scenic location next to Lake Geneva and vineyards.

About the boat ride: I think either section is beautiful, but you could opt for Geneva – Lausanne as that it close to the Lavaux Vinorama, the terraced vineyards in that region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2011 at 2:27:44 #833113

Montruex is a nice place, one of the things to do there is take a boat trip and there’s a few options. An interesting trip would be to the Château de Chillon, it’s one of the most impressive old castles in Switzerland : http://www.chillon.ch/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2011 at 12:06:35 #833114

another cast is at Aigle, we were there yesterday and it’s quite nice. It’s set in vineyards and home to a museum of wine. It’s pretty well done if you’re interested in wine or château

http://SwissMountainLeader.com/gallery/var/resizes/Leysin-and-Area/20110527-151228.jpg
    http://SwissMountainLeader.com/gallery/var/resizes/Leysin-and-Area/20110527-152121.jpg
    http://SwissMountainLeader.com/gallery/var/resizes/Leysin-and-Area/20110527-161253.jpg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2011 at 12:25:45 #833115

Just got back from Switzerland! My Husband and I loved it and would recommend any of the area’s we went to.
    Among our favorites…
    1) Lake Thun: Great views and atomosphere. We could have spent all five days there, and would have loved every second of it.

2) Fondue! Definately worth a try. Super Delicous

3) Olympic Museum (Lausanne) *free with the Pass

4) Castle Chillon

5) Zermatt: Great view of the Matterhorn (Just check weather, because you won’t see anything if it is cloudy)

6) Vineyards above Lake Gevena

7) Scenic Trains (Or even just the Scenic train routes)

**Definately worth the Swiss Youth Pass. It got us free into basically all the museums and castles we went to and saved us money in travel as well.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 June 2011 at 12:53:00 #833116

Thanks for your letting us know Swis4. Great that you had such a wonderful time and that you liked using the Swiss Pass! Your feedback will be appreciated by future travelers!

• The thread ‘Budget accommodation near Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.