Gelmer Funicular day trip in August

• Glen2019
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 October 2019 at 13:57:36 #824089

Hi everyone!

I am planning a day trip to the Gelmer Funicular from Interlaken in August.

I was just wondering if anyone has anymore recommendations for other places to see around this area (Gelmer Funicular) or could be combined with a day trip there?

I am already planning on doing mountain visits to Jungfrau, Schilthorn,First, Glacier 3000, Pilatus etc during my trip.

so it’s other areas / towns / sites that anyone can recommend that would work alongside a trip to Gelmer Funicular.

Many thanks

glen 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    4 October 2019 at 15:35:56 #923185

Hi Glen2019,

The Gelmerbahn (Gelmer Funicular) takes you up to Gelmersee and you could easily spend a day here enjoying a picnic and hiking around the lake. The loop trail is about 4.5km and not recommended for small children. At the start of the funicular, where you buy your tickets, there’s a suspension bridge with a view of the Handeck waterfall. The bridge leads to the Handeck Hotel & Nature Resort. There’s an easier trail nearby, a few picnic spots and a playground for kids.

The Gelmer Funicular is located near Meiringen in the Hasli Valley.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ha slital

This is a private-run funicular, unfortunately the Swiss Travel Pass and Half Fare Card won’t be valid here
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

If you have more time, you could combine your Gelmerbahn day trip with a visit to the Reichenbach Falls, the Trift Glacier Suspension Bridge and the Aareschluct (Aare Gorge).

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2019 at 23:42:09 #923186

Sounds like you might be cramming a lot in. Don’t overdo it. A day trip to the Gelmerbahn from Interlaken will take most of the day if you take it at a pace that includes enjoying the scenery of the area.

Having said that, there are three well known touristic attractions on the way, because geographically, the journey from Interlaken to the Gelmer area takes you past the Brienzersee, Brienz (for the steam operated Rothorn Bahn) and the Aareschlucht gorge.

You also seem to be following the ‘trend’ that I see on this forum of ‘going up every possible high peak’. It could be argued that this means missing some lovely sights and sounds of Switzerland. Don’t forget there is a lot more ‘quintissential Switzerland’ to see in the valleys and lower altitude areas of the country. There is an argument that suggests and that once you’ve seen one snowy mountain you’ve seen them all.

Glen2019
    Participant
    7 posts
    5 October 2019 at 6:57:31 #923187

@1960man Completely agree with following the trend!! I am travelling for 15 days so if you have any recommendations for places i must see in the lower altitude areas i would Very much appreciate it, because as i do My research i was Beginning to get that feeling that a few of the mountain tops were looking similar. Do you suggest which ones I should see?

I do love places that are off the beaten track and more cultural so those sights and sounds of Switzerland sound perfect!

thank you for the feedback. Muchly appreciated!

Glen 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2019 at 23:38:41 #923188

There are still a few places in Switzerland where you will hike around local paths and only meet Swiss people, as they are not ‘international tourist attractions’. As an example of a less obvious area, Appenzell alps. A few summers ago we stayed in a rental house a short distance from Appenzell town. Appenzell itself receives plenty of tourists from across the world, as does the Ebenalp , but in other parts of the Appenzell region there are miles of hiking paths through undulating farmland – you will see lots of ‘real Switzerland’ – and very few other people (we saw more cats than people on one hike) Then there are the more ‘Alpine’ paths the closer you go to Säntis etc

The Swiss Jura is also comparitively less frequented by tourists.

• The thread ‘Gelmer Funicular day trip in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.