Activities if it storms in Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2019 at 15:11:39 #822025

My 18 year old granddaughter and I arrive in Switzerland on June 10 and depart June 18. Our bases are Zurich and Interlaken. Looking at the long-range forecast for next week, during the time we are in Interlaken (June 14-17), there is 80% chance of thunderstorms.

I read Arno’s statement that more than 3 days in advance, reports can be very unreliable, and that weather can change quickly, however, I’d like to have some backup plans in case we are not able to do the thngs I’d planned. For instance, I’d planned on taking the funicular to Harder Kulm, cruises on Lake Thun and Lake Briez, and even taking the train to the Top of Europe, in addition to hiking some of the trails. I’m thinking thunderstorms could make these activities unpleasant. Any advice? (I’m already praying for better weather!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2019 at 22:37:17 #914153

Thunderstorms normally don’t last long and often occur late afternoon on hot days. It could be a good sign.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 June 2019 at 6:07:21 #914154

Another nice thing about thunderstorms is that they usually clear the air.

If the prognostics for the entire day are abysmal, you might consider a day trip to Berne.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 June 2019 at 9:04:30 #914155

Hi Remulla,

Our Interlaken page suggests various bad weather activities: http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken. Plenty to do for 4 days!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2019 at 13:52:51 #914156

Thanks, Rockoyster! I love your optimism and am keeping positive about it, too. I know, regardless, we’ll have a wonderful time.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2019 at 14:13:21 #914157

We definitely plan to stop in Bern, either on the way from Zurich, or the way back, Peterli. After suffering through some miserable allergy symptoms here, the thought of clear air seems wonderful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2019 at 14:15:20 #914158

Thanks, Arno! The caves seem especially intriguing!

• The thread ‘Activities if it storms in Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.