Advice for adventure day from Wengen October 11

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 21:14:12 #813433

Hello my girlfriend and I will spend 2 nights in Wengen next week. We will arrive mid day October 10th and leave noon on the 12th. We would like our full day (11th) to be as adventure packed as possible. We would love to do a scenic hike and are perfectly fine to do something of moderate difficulty, however, maybe something in the 2 hour range so as not to spend our whole day on one activity. We would also like to go up a peak, whether that be Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn or First. I have wrote in another post that I am not necesasarily attached to Jungfraujoch if I can get a similar experience elsewhere (Schilthorn?) for less time/money but do not mind shelling out the money if it is the best option. Can anyone suggest a possible itinerary (assuming good whether) that would give us a full day of adventuring and seeing as much as possible? I just do not want to waste a ton of time backtracking or figuring out our plans as we go! Thank you so much in advance, reading through this forum has been extremely helpful thus far!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 22:34:58 #870575

Since you are in Wengen, go for Jungfrau. Schilthorn requires backtracking, check the webcams!

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    5 October 2017 at 4:44:04 #870576

Do the Jungfraujoch if the weather is pristine, Then go out the top and walk the glacier over to the Moenchjochutte (about an hour on a prepared trail), have lunch there, and walk back. It will put you in a new perspective. Whole trip, Wengen and back again takes 6-8 hours, about 4 of those on a train. You will see more of the alps than one could ever see otherwise. Food is good, and you are not alone. Drink water and skip the alcohol at those heights. Good snow gear on your feet. Glacier requires no equipment. It can become warm in pretty weather, so layer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 13:16:34 #870577

Thank you for the advice.

Would it be possible to work in the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg? Will I have time/is it a good use of my time?

I will also have 2 half days on either side of my full day. Can anyone recommend an afternoon or morning hike/adventure I could do?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2017 at 13:44:53 #870578

Hi PeterZ-

FredCH is avery knowledgeable expert on those sort of hikes. I always respect his advice; he has shown me many stuning trails.

You could possibly fit the M–>KS trip into the same day.

You can do the walk in well under 2 hours, maybe even faster than the suggested 1 hr and 30 minutes…if you don’t take a camera. ‘;-) I walk slowly and take a lot of pictures…2 hours is my time.

There are a couple of caveats-

1.- Walking up from KS to Männlichen is a pleasant walk, but lacks the emotional aspect of having the Eiger grow over you as you approach it.

2.- It is normal to recommend going up to JFJ in the AM, because clouds tend to gather in the afternoon. However, weather patterns can vary. You are not likely to have long lines for tickets in the PM in mid-October. August would be a different story.

Check with Wengen tourist info office for details of conditions. Also, note that the clouds may come in layers, so that you might be below the “deck” and not so happy, but then go up into brilliant sunshine. Or, vice versa. ;-(

There are webcams.

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/jungfraujoch-2660208/

Looks nice right now.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 13:49:33 #870579

If we moved quickly would it make sense to do Wengen to Mannlichen then hike to KS. Round trip to Jungfraujoch. KS to Grindelwald. Grindelwald to Wengen. I understand that is alot but it is way too much or is it just a full day?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2017 at 13:58:25 #870580

Hi PeterZ –

I think you could do it as you suggest, and there may be some flexibility for your choices.

If i were doing that, I’d return to Wengen. Grindelwald would be anticlimactic and add travel time that would not be so special after the other two.

Also, depending on conditions up top, you might not be able to take the walk that FredCH recommended. That would make the time generous. If it is include, still OK….just get the first LSB ( Luftseilbahn) up from Wengen Wengiboden to Männlichen at 0830, and you can fit it all in with time to spare, but skip Grindelwald.

Hope you have pristine weather…the Jungfrau is expensive, and not much fun if you are inside a cloud.

Slowpoke

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    5 October 2017 at 13:58:43 #870581

The Jungfrau would take precedence for me. However the Wengen-Maennlichen=KS would be an easy half day choice. Go early for JFJ is a good idea. I think there is a discount for the first train up from KS.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 14:04:54 #870582

Thank you so much everyone! This has been very helpful, now I just cross my fingers for goof weather…on that note…any suggestions on what I may do if the weather doesn’t cooperate? Would a day trip to Bern be the answer or should I still stay in the area? We don’t mind being outside/hiking in some slight rain/snow but as you say, we would not likely pay for JFJ in that case.

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:13:52 #870583

<<“The Jungfrau would take precedence for me. “>>

Agree. Should have been more explicit on that point.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2017 at 15:17:32 #870584

Hi Peter,

If the weather looks poor – check the webcams in the morning. Bern is a lovely town which could work but it is still 2 hours from Wengen. You may want to look at Thun or Brienz.

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to help you plan out your trips.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    5 October 2017 at 23:45:06 #870585

An alternative might be train to Grindelwald, gondola to First then walk to Bachalpsee, down to Waldspitz then Bort. Take gondolas back to Mannlichen then hike to KS then train back to Wengen.Probably lunch at Waldspitz. Certainly a full day, probably 4 hours hiking but mostly level or downhill. Would cover a lot of ground using feet, gondola, and trains. For easier option could substitute First to Gross Scheidegg then bus back to Grindelwald instead of First to Bort. Still do gondolas to Mannlichen and walk to KS then train to Wengen. Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2017 at 1:25:23 #870586

Hi Marki-

<<“Mannlichen”>>

It’s Männlichen, which is pronounced quite differently from “Mannlichen.”

Slowpoke.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    6 October 2017 at 2:02:26 #870587

Well I wasn’t trying to pronounce it and I’m not sure how to type the proper form of the letter on my iPad. It’s not readily available on my on screen keyboard. Hopefully PeterZ will be able to figure out to what I was referring.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 4:28:59 #870588

>> ä … I’m not sure how to type the proper form of the letter on my iPad.

Yes, German letters with diacritics are a bit tricky if you aren’t familiar with German.

If you do a long press on “a”, other variants, including “ä” should come up on your iPad keyboard. An alternative to using “ä” is to use “ae” instead, i.e. Maennlichen, which is pronounced the same as Männlichen (and differently from Mannlichen, as Slowpoke noted). Web addresses usually use the “ae” spelling rather than using letters with diacritics.

The same convention applies to words with “ü” or “ö”, i.e. “ü” becomes “ue” and “ö” becomes “oe”.

The German alphabet also has another unusual letter, “ß”, which is pronounced like “ss”. The Swiss (because German is only one of four national languages), use the “ss” spelling instead, to make things more straightforward with things such as keyboards.

Alpenrose

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    6 October 2017 at 11:08:43 #870589

Thanks for the explanation. It seems fairly straightforward and I will try to use the “ ä “ where appropriate. Mark

• The thread ‘Advice for adventure day from Wengen October 11’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.