Advice needed for my itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2012 at 9:23:47 #805618

Hi,

Appreciate your advice and review. My itinerary is as followed (22 Oct to 3 Nov)
    Day 1 – Arrive in Zurich, train to Lucern. Explore Lucern attractions
    Day 2 – Golden Round trip to Mt Pilatus
    Day 3 – Golden pass train to Interlaken
    Day 4 – Day trip to Jungfrau (Good Afternoon Ticket)
    Day 5 – Day trip to Zermatt / Matterhorn
    Day 6 – Golden pass train to Lausanne
    Day 7 – Day trips to Montreux and Geneva
    Day 8-11 – Paris
    Day 12 – Return to Zurich, stopover for lunch at Basel
    Day 13 – Zurich Rhine Waterfalls / sights
    Day 14 – Explore Zurich for morning/afternoon. Evening flight.

I will be getting one Swiss Pass for Day 3-6 and one Swiss Flex Pass for Day 1, 7, 13 and 14 (have 4 people in my group, so will be taking Swiss Pass promotion). Questions/doubts/advice

1) Day 1 – is it possible to squeeze in Mt Rigis and spread out the visiting of Lucern attractions in Day 2 and 3?

2) I’m torn between taking a route via Bern to Lausanne and the Golden Pass route. Is it possible to visit Bern enroute to Interlaken? If I take the Golden Pass route, I will like to consider stop over at Montreux for few hours.

3) As I’m considering Good Afternoon ticket for Jungfrau, do you have any recommendations around the area before I board the train at Kleine?

4) I will actually prefer to go to Rhine Waterfalls on my last day before taking flight home so that i can still enjoy the Swiss Pass benefits till the last day. Is half a day sufficient?

5) As the period I’m going will be the low season, is it really necessary to reserve tickets where required? Can I board the train if I have no reservation?

Any comments on my itinerary are also appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to review and reply my questions.

Cheers
    CY

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 September 2012 at 2:46:28 #837190

Hi CY,

1) You can go up the Rigi in the morning of day 3.

2) I would recommend the Golden Pass route for the best scenery. But you can make a side trip from Spiez to Bern and back and then pick up the Golden Pass again.

3) You don’t need the Good Afternoon Ticket for the Jungfrau. Just use you pass for a better discount. And you won’t be limited to certain times too.

4) Yes, half a day should be sufficient if you leave early.

5) You don’t have to reserve seats anywhere except for international trains (e.g. to Paris) and some scenic trains. Here's more information.

Please be sure to check the timetables of mountain transport before you go there. You’re traveling in a season where maintenance is being performed frequently. Cable cars may be out of service for that reason, or just because it’s low season. The cable car up the Pilatus will be closed from October 22 to November 9. The funicular will still run, unless the weather makes it impossible.

In Zermatt, I would recommend to take the Gornergrat railway for a magnificent view on the Matterhorn.

Your Swiss Passes can be purchased here (assuming you’re from Singapore), and use can use these promo codes for an additional discount.

I’m sure this will be a great trip! I hope you’ll come back here afterwards with a short trip report. That would be interesting for other travelers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2012 at 10:31:56 #837191

Hi Arno

Thanks for the prompt response. Appreciate much for the advice. Once back, I will follow up on a report =).

Cheers!
    CY

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2012 at 11:33:40 #837192

Hi, I had booked reservation from Lucern to Interlaken. Unfortunately, the train is not running during that whole week! I’m told to go via Otlen which I cant get any results from raileurope website. I checked the http://www.sbb.ch and it indicated as Otlen-Bern. I cannot ascertain any reservation required, but I will think this is a regional train so there is no need for a reservation?

I think I can take a regional train to Brienz following the same route as GoldenPass line then to Interkalen. But I’m wondering are the trains under maintenance or the railway line under maintenance? Should be latter since I’m told to go via Otlen. I check up the map and this route will take a different direction. So it looks like I’m missing out some great scenery along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2012 at 18:56:50 #837193

hello Cy, I have looked at sbb website and there are through trains running to Interlaken at 5 mins to the hour, every hour – there are trains via Olten in between so I guess it depends on which time train you chose when making the reservation. I see no indication of any maintenace work on the line between Lucerne and interlaken during the week of your stay. There is no need to make reservations on regional trains. If reservations are required it says so on the timetable. We have travelled that route many times without making reservations.
    Hope you manage to sort out the problem and enjoy the trip.
    Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2012 at 10:30:53 #837194

Hi Maggie

Thanks for response. I tried doing reservations direct at Golden Pass website and I succeeded in getting my reservation from Lucerne to Interlaken. Also, another timing I was trying to reserve from Zweisimmen to Montreux was not available in raileurope website and I again succeeded in doing it in the Golden Pass website. I’m really puzzled and had written to Golden Pass to confirm whether the reservations are valid. The reservation fees from the Golden Pass website are half of what I’m paying through raileurope, not factoring in booking fees!

I’m keeping fingers crossed I don’t need to change my trip plan again.

• The thread ‘Advice needed for my itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.