Advice on hiking(staying in Lauterbrunnen)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2011 at 18:20:04 #804356

Hello:
    I plan to be in Lauterbrunnen for 2 full days this September. This will be my first time in Switzerland. I would like to hike each day and here are some of the following hikes that I have read about:
    1. Kleine Scheidegg- Mannlichen combined with trip to Jungfraujoch

2. Hiker’s loop from Lauterbrunnen (up to Grutschalp, walk to Murren, North Face trail to Gimmewald, back to Lauterbrunnen)

3. Schynige Platte to First

4. Sefinen Valley to Kilchbalm

5. open to any other suggestions

I am traveling very light (only one bag) so I will not be packing any hiking boots, but will take a pair of trail-type shoes.

Also, any thoughts on purchasing/reading a book on the various hikes in the area. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2011 at 18:53:42 #833015

In the event that you have yet to reserve accomodations, I can strongly the Hotel Staubach. I have stayed there on three separate occasions and have never been disappointed in any aspect of my
    stay.

I can also recommend the hike (downhill) from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg – also the hike (uphill) from Mannlichen to Mannlichen Gipfel.

Take the post bus from Lauterbrunnen to Isenfluh and then the gondola to Suwald (riding the tricycles back down would, I imagine, be a kick).

Hike from Lauterbrunnen up to (and behind) Staubach Wasserfall.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2011 at 8:18:08 #833016

thank you for the reply and advice. I have read several good reviews of Hotel Staubach.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 June 2011 at 6:21:54 #833017

Hi Joe,

I wouldn’t recommend to do the more difficult hikes such as Schynige Platte to First without hiking boots. More practical tips are listed here and some trail suggestions are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2011 at 15:39:01 #833018

Arno: thanks for the advice, and I will read the tips section.

• The thread ‘Advice on hiking(staying in Lauterbrunnen)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.