Zermatt from Wengen or Lucerne & going to Austria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 3:20:35 #816059

Hello! Thank you so much for this wonderful forum and members! We are a family of 3 and we have planned a Swiss vacation from June 4th to June 13th. I have booked 4 days accomodation in Lucerne and 4 days in Wengen. Have a very rough idea of the itinerary.

Few Questions to which I would like some advice on is:

a) Would like to see Zermatt. Is it better to see it as a day trip from Lucern or Wengen?

b) From Switzerland we are going to Salzburg in Austria. After we check out on 12th from Wengen , I haven’t booked anything for 12th night. Would you suggest some place to stay on the way to Salzburg or would you recommend staying on in Switzerland for 1 more day. ANy suggestions on what we can do that one day? Which is the best place in Swiss to travel to Salzburg?

Thank you so so much in advance! This is such a fantastic forum!

Selvi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 5:06:30 #885602

Hello Selvi and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I would think it would be better to visit Zermatt from Wengen. Go one way via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

There is a direct (no changes) Railjet train departing 10:40 from Zurich to Salzburg. You could stay in Zurich the night before your departure.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 7:49:06 #885603

Thank you so much for your response. Will book a hotel in Zurich then for 12th night. One more question is, Should I book the train tickets now itself or can I come there and book? Also any phone plans that might be useful there? Thank you so much again for your help!

Selvi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 15:44:38 #885604

Hi Selvi,

I would buy tickets for the trip from Zurich to Salzburg as soon as possible as prices go up the closer to departure you get.

Have you looked into rail passes for your trips around Switzerland? Often a good way to save money – a Swiss Travel Pass might be a good option for you. Look here for help choosing the best rail pass.

Find details on SimCards and WiFi hotspots here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/simcard

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 21:45:40 #885605

Hello Selvi,

Re phone plans see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/mobile-data-and-wifi-around-switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 22:58:26 #885606

1) Zermatt

Wengen is geographically closer to Zermatt than is Luzern, but the train journey from Luzern is the almost the same duration, and requires only 2 changes of train instead of 4 if those things are important to you on the day

2) to Salzburg

the rail route from CH to Salzburg is from Zurich via Sargans,Buchs, Feldkirch, Arlberg pass railway, Tirol, Innsbruck, Germany – Salzburg.

You could stay the night at St Anton am Arlberg, or even Innsbruck on oyur way to Salzburg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 11:04:17 #885607

Thank you all so much!!!And so sorry for the late acknowledgement of all the help! Really really appreciate it! We are reaching Lucerne on 4th and really looking forward to it! Thank you all again!

• The thread ‘Zermatt from Wengen or Lucerne & going to Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.