Advice regarding Lucerne and Grindelwald itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 4:41:32 #817795

Hi all! I was after some advice and recommendations regarding my Switzerland itinerary.

(Note: Days can be swapped around in case of bad weather)

1. Is one day enough time to look around Lucerne’s main attractions (i.e. Lion momument, Chapel Bridge) and to also do a lake cruise?
    2. Are each of the days from 27 June doable? Or are they too jam packed and busy? If not, what should I remove?
    3. Is it possible to do Jungfraujoch after the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (weather permitting)? Or would it be smarter to do Jungfraujoch in the morning?
    4. 30 June 2019 is a maybe day as I am able to extend our stay if needed, but I would prefer to keep Grindelwald at 3 nights. So I was wondering whether i can fit most of 30 June 2019 into another day? If so, which day would I be able to fit that into? (Happy to remove trip up to Schlithorn if needed)
    5. Please let me know any suggestions or if I have made any incorrect notes in the itinerary. Thank you!
    • 26 June 2019

Depart Munich for Lucerne (via Zurich) (night train if possible)

Arrive at Lucerne

Spend day exploring Lucerne

• 27 June 2019

Morning : Depart Lucerne via Scenic train > Interlaken – approx. 2 hours

Take train from Interlaken to Grindelwald – approx. 1 hour

Arrive in Grindelwald (Hopefully around 11am)

Drop luggage off at hotel

Have quick lunch

Afternoon: Take hike to Lake Bachalpsee:

Get to the ‘First’ Gondola up to the mountain to First and then hike to Lake Bachalpsee (last cable car back to Grindelwald is at 5:30)

Get railway back to Grindelwald

Explore Grindelwald

• 28 June 2019

Morning: Take the train from Grindelwald (around 8am) to Grindelwald Grund – approximately 7 minutes

Take the cable car / gondola from Grindelwald Grund to Mannlichen

Take the Panoramaweg hiking trail from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg – allow 3 hours to enjoy: the hike, lookouts and a quick lunch (about 1.5 hours or less of walking)

Mountain Restaurant – early lunch at Restaurant Grindelwaldblick – perched hillside before reaching Kleine Scheidegg

Kleine Scheidegg – purchase tickets for Jungfraujoch* if haven’t purchased in advance already

Afternoon: Jungfrau Railway to Jungfraujoch – top of Europe – enjoy views, visit ice palace and other attractions

Get railway back to Grindelwald

• 29 June 2019

Take first train from Grindelwald to Kandersteg (8:49am train) (1 hour and 50 minutes)

Arrive in Kandersteg (10:40am)

Walk from train station (15 min) to cable car station (follow brown signs “Oeschinensee”)

Take cable car to the top of the mountain (the toboggan ride is next to the cable car exit)

Walk 20-30 minutes to reach Oeschinen Lake.

Enjoy picnic/walk around lake/do tobogganing

Return to Grindelwald

• 30 June 2019 – MAYBE

Take first train from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen (approx.. 1 hour)

Explore Lauterbrunnen (approx. 1 hour – can explore again at the end of the day)

Take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp

Either walk from Grutscalp to Murren (1.5 hour walk – very scenic) or catch train (30 min)

Explore Muuren while making way to the Schilthornbahn for the cable car up to Schilthorn

Explore Schlithorn

Take cable car down to Stechelberg and walk to visit Trummelbach Falls.

Walk from Trummelbach falls to Staubach falls (can climb up behind the waterfall)

Walk or bus it back into Lauterbrunnen

Explore Lauterbrunnen (optional)

Catch train back to Grindelwald

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 19:00:34 #893868

Hi Claudetteee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, one day is enough to quickly see the town highlights and do a lake cruise on Lake Lucerne http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities
    2. Yes, all quite doable. You can plan out your day and schedules using the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    3. Typically the weather can be better in the morning. Check the webcams when you get up and if it looks good I’d go straight to Jungfraujoch
    4. I think adding June 30 hiking (even without Schilthorn) is too much to add to another day. Perhaps if you just go to Jungfraujoch and don’t do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike on the 28th…
  • The thread ‘Advice regarding Lucerne and Grindelwald itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.