Advise me on the itinerary and railpass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2015 at 16:15:20 #807162

I will be in Switzerland from 24 May to 2 June. I have already booked accommodation in Hombrechtkon for the entire stay. My question is – how do I plan the itinerary if I want to visit Lucerne, mt pilatus, Rigi, mt Titlis, Interlaken, Berne, Geneva, Basel, the alps train, and Zurich town. Can I add more? I would prefer hiking spots. Also what is better for me – A swiss pass or point to point tickets?ThanksEjaz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 May 2015 at 16:31:29 #842823

Hi Ejaz,

How to plan is explained here. In your case, traveling would require to first take a bus to the nearest rail station (Feldbach or Bubikon), then continue by train from there. All schedules can be found in the timetable. Attractions can be found here. You first need a itinerary, then you can pick a rail pass as explained here. A Swiss Travel Pass does seem to make sense tough, as you have quite some traveling to do.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2015 at 2:33:19 #842824

Ejazz-

Arno has organized this My Swiss Alps website very well to help you get organized, and he has pointed you to the “start up” directions.

If you have put your destinations on a map, and know what you intend to do while you are at each of them, then the timetable for Swiss Rail (and buses, cable cars and boats) can help you figure out travel times.

The site is included in the information that Arno has provided. It is:

sbb.ch/en/ home.html

After you have selected a particular journey, you can use the supporting links to get a map of the route.

If you want a very good topo map of Switzerland, you can look at :

swisstopo.admin.ch/ internet/swisstopo/ en/home.html

Click on the map on the right side of the home page.

I also like the map My SearchSwitzerland, because, at least in the Classic version, you can mouse over a station symbol and get a timetable to/from that location. I’ve not learned to use the new interface effectively, but I’m sure it does the same thing.

map.classic.search.ch

By the way, for future reference, the name of the town is Hombrechtikon. May Swiss town names end in “ikon.”

I am curious how you picked that location. If it is not an intrusion, could you let me know? I am always looking for nice places to stay that are an easy train ride from Zürich. It is not a usual tourist destination. If it is an intrusion, no problem, don’t bother.

While you are in that area, a very nice way to spend a few hours is to to take the train across the Seedamm from Rapperswil to Pfäffikon ( or, take one of the selective ones which stop at Hurden), and walk back toward Rapperswil. Take the “boardwalk.”

A nice nature walk, and the views towards Rapperswill are very nice. Not your usual tourist destination, but I use that as “jet -lag-afternoon- time -filler” on some of my arrival days in Zürich.

In fact, on my next trip, I shall stay in Hurden.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 May 2015 at 16:04:52 #842825

Ejazz-

A second comment-

With your plans and available time, you might be better off to establish two bases and do day trips from them. At least, keep that in mind after you have put the dots on a map.

Travel to and from Hombrechtikon in a single day to include Geneva, or Bern and Geneva, for example, will be a very long day.

Zürich has excellent connections to every part of Switzerland, but you do have to get there from Hombrechtikon.

Confirm in your planning that the bus necessary to return you to Hombrechtikon runs late enough at night to get you back there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2015 at 9:16:26 #842826

Thank you all so much for the replies.

• The thread ‘Advise me on the itinerary and railpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.