Advise needed on trip to switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2012 at 8:20:46 #804913

Dear forum members,

I am planning below trip and need guidance on best option for booking train / pass:

Day 1) Paris – Interlaken – 8th Apr
    Day 2) Interlaken- Jungfraujoch – 9th Apr
    Day 3) Interlaken-Lucerne – 10th Apr
    Day 4) Lucerne – Mt.Titlis – 11th Apr
    Day 5) Lucerne – Venice – 12th Apr

One of the option to travel from Paris to Interlaken is by taking a train from Paris to Basel and then purchasing a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass (as we are four members) to cover all the places in switzerland. However, I am not sure if this pass entitles me to travel from Basel to Interlaken. Please can anyone let me know if this is included in the pass and is there any other better option?

Also, I understand that for some trains I have to pay additional price for surcharge and reservation. At the time I book the pass (online) will I know whether the reservation is available for these trains?

Thanks very much in advance for your replies and time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2012 at 13:54:55 #834841

Hi forum members
    I will be staying in Nuremberg ,Germany in March and April,2012.While in Germany, I would like to visit Switzerland from 20th to 25th April,2012 for about 6 days. I wish to visit Lucerne and nearby mountains, Interlaken and Jungrfraujoch and Montreaux during this period. Can someone please advise me on:

1. How to distribute these days among the three cities of Lucerne,Interlaken and Montreaux so as to get to see the best places.
    2. Which places(mountains,lakes etc) should I visit?
    3. I have heard about the Golden Pass Panaromic trains which pass through the most scenic places and I would therefore like to travel on these trains one way at least.
    4. Given the above requirements, what would be the most economical way to travel and which passes to buy.

Sudhanshu

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:59:41 #834842

Hi sum1009! I think it’s the most economical option indeed to use the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. You should start its validity on day 2 and pay the regular price for your inbound trip from Paris to Interlaken on day 1. (So in that case, Basel-Interlaken won’t be covered. You can choose to start the pass’s validity on day 1, but that would mean that you can’t use it any longer for your outbound trip from Lucerne to Venice on day 5. This trip is more expensive than Basel-Interlaken, that’s why it’s best to use the pass from day 2 to 5.)

The map we link to from the Swiss Pass page shows the exact overview of validity. You’ll need additional discounted tickets for the Jungfraujoch and Titlis. Seat reservation isn’t necessary in most cases. You do need reservations for the TGV from Paris to Switzerland and for the international train crossing the border to Italy. Further information seat reservations can be found here.

Does that get you started? Best regards,

[quote]sum1009 said: Dear forum members,
    I am planning below trip and need guidance on best option for booking train / pass:
    Day 1) Paris – Interlaken – 8th Apr
    Day 2) Interlaken- Jungfraujoch – 9th Apr
    Day 3) Interlaken-Lucerne – 10th Apr
    Day 4) Lucerne – Mt.Titlis – 11th Apr
    Day 5) Lucerne – Venice – 12th Apr
    One of the option to travel from Paris to Interlaken is by taking a train from Paris to Basel and then purchasing a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass (as we are four members) to cover all the places in switzerland. However, I am not sure if this pass entitles me to travel from Basel to Interlaken. Please can anyone let me know if this is included in the pass and is there any other better option?
    Also, I understand that for some trains I have to pay additional price for surcharge and reservation. At the time I book the pass (online) will I know whether the reservation is available for these trains?
    Thanks very much in advance for your replies and time.[/quote]

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 February 2012 at 11:01:58 #834843

Hello Sudhanshu, and welcome! I’d like to ask you to start a new topic for your question, rather than attaching it to an existing thread. This helps all forum visitors to keep a clear overview of topics. You can do so by logging in, getting to the Swiss rail forum and clicking ‘Start new topic’ in the upper right corner. Thank you :-)!

[quote]sudhanshu said: Hi forum members
    I will be staying in Nuremberg ,Germany in March and April,2012.While in Germany, I would like to visit Switzerland from 20th to 25th April,2012 for about 6 days. I wish to visit Lucerne and nearby mountains, Interlaken and Jungrfraujoch and Montreaux during this period. Can someone please advise me on:
    1. How to distribute these days among the three cities of Lucerne,Interlaken and Montreaux so as to get to see the best places.
    3. I have heard about the Golden Pass Panaromic trains which pass through the most scenic places and I would therefore like to travel on these trains one way at least.
    4. Given the above requirements, what would be the most economical way to travel and which passes to buy.
    Sudhanshu[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2012 at 12:16:05 #834844

Thanks Annika. Ill do that. Thank you.

[quote]Annika said: Hello Sudhanshu, and welcome! I’d like to ask you to start a new topic for your question, rather than attaching it to an existing thread. This helps all forum visitors to keep a clear overview of topics. You can do so by logging in, getting to the Swiss rail forum and clicking ‘Start new topic’ in the upper right corner. Thank you :-)!
    [quote]sudhanshu said: Hi forum members
    Sudhanshu[/quote][/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2012 at 14:25:24 #834845

Hi Annika,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Kind regards… S

• The thread ‘Advise needed on trip to switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.