Where to see the alphorn and cow parade in Sep?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 7:29:24 #820623

I have seen many pictures of cow parade and Swiss playing alphorn.

Where and when can we see this? Can it be seen in the places I plan to visit – Interlaken, Harder Kulm, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Luzern, Montreux, for the period 31st aug to 07th Sep2019?

Of course it is not a “must see” list, but just thought it would be great that these interesting scenescan be added to my experience in Switzerland.

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 14:21:24 #907677

Hi Myfootstep!

I see you’re very interested in unique Swiss traditions, fantastic!

Regarding the Alphorn, unfortunately you just miss the two big Alphorn festivals (Swiss Yodelling festival in Brienz in June and the Alphorn international festival in Nendaz that takes place in July).

However I found an event that might work in Gstaad on the 31st August which is on the Golden pass route: http://www.gstaad.ch/en/news/ events/events/events.h tml?no_cache=1&eventID=231 854067&cHash=607e5d9e9 6c3a499b9b37b2c427c964 0

I have been to another festival like this one in the Alps, and you certainly get yodelling and the cow parade at the same time.

Gstaad is also hosting the Swiss wrestling festival on the 1st September 2019 (this one will include Alphorns but not a cow parade unlike the previous one): http://www.gstaad.ch/en/news/ events/events/events.h tml?no_cache=1&eventID=231 854254&cHash=354588799 a1da5ab87a0e27b09ad8cd 4

If that doesn’t work, you can instead visit this Alphorn factory when you are in Interlaken: bernatone.ch/en

Otherwise, during high season in the most touristy places (like the ones you’re going to), you’ll often see the Alphorn being played when you get to the summit, e.g. on Pilatus.

All other cow parade or Alpine festivals – Desalpes in French and Alpabfahrt in German – are held at the end of September unfortunately.

Hope this helps?

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2019 at 8:29:57 #907678

OOooo.. I am likely to miss the cow parade festival.. so unlucky..

Thanks Maria for the detailed information regarding cow parade and alphorn play.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2019 at 9:44:35 #907679

You’re welcome!

We would love to hear about your experience when you get back home on our trip reports part of the forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

Have a great time!

Maria.

Maverick
    Participant
    27 posts
    30 March 2019 at 6:11:27 #907680

Good morning, I had exactly the same query, I was really interested in cow parade, the traditional ascend and descend, travelling in 4-15 September this year. Is there a website maybe that lists festivals, so maybe I can plan around that..

thanks!

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    30 March 2019 at 7:00:44 #907681

Hello myfootstep and Maverick,

I was in Wengen for 3 nights last September (13th-15th) and they did have a cow parade on the morning of the 14th. (Unfortunately I had slept through it, not knowing anything about it until told about it by some folks I spoke to while wandering around the village later on that day). For myfootstep: perhaps too late, but maybe there are some parades in other villages that take place earlier. For Maverick: perhaps you can catch it on your last day there, if you are in Wengen. Or maybe the dates may vary on when they take place from year to year. Someone at the hotels you stay at should be able to answer questions about it, I would think. I know they have them in many villages throughout the country, and perhaps some other folks can chime in with more info, as, perhaps there is a website for the “parades”. Have a great trip and enjoy any parades you may get to see.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2019 at 3:18:09 #907682

Thank you Danielsan for your input. I will check with the hotel and hopefully they have info about this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2019 at 9:17:10 #907683

Hi Myfootstep and Maverick,

Hope this link is useful for your search –

m.myswitzerland.com/en -sg/events.html?strubrik=2312

Regards from May.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2019 at 2:57:07 #907684

Thank you very much MayT for the link.

Sadly my travel period doesn’t coincide with the event.

Maverick
    Participant
    27 posts
    5 April 2019 at 11:48:37 #907685

Thanks May!

thats exactly what I was looking for.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 12:38:16 #907686

Hi myfootstep,

There could be more updates closer to your travel month.

May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 12:42:41 #907687

Hi Maverick,

You are welcome… am also feeling happy when able to contribute to this forum 😀

Enjoy your coming trip. Every corner of Switzerland is beautiful.

May

• The thread ‘Where to see the alphorn and cow parade in Sep?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.