Any cheese and chocolate factories around Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 17:06:30 #808839

Hello, want to show the kids a cheese making and a chocolate factory in or around zurich, lucerne,interlaken ..not going to gruyere and montreux.Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2016 at 22:38:14 #850438

Hello Rohini

You do not need to go to Gruyeres or Broc – I have done the chocolate train excursion but have also visited 2 other cheese – making demonstrations nearer to your suggested bases.

From Lucerne it is only a 43 minute ttrain ride to Engelberg where you can visit the cheese factory at the monastery. It is smaller than Gruyeres but less crowded. There is a shop and an excellent café.

A bit further away and a slightly more complicated trip to a bigger cheese factory would be at Afflotern – in- Emmental. Train at 9.16 from Lucerne (platform 11 to Huttwil, arrive at Huttwil at 10.14, bus at 10.17 to Affoltern-Weir, arrive 10.33, another short bus ride at 10.37 which reaches Affoltern-in-Emmental at 10.39. This trip runs hourly and though it sounds complicated would be pretty easy and this factory is excellent. Again shop and restaurant/café for lunch.

I don’t know so much about chocolate but I do know that there is a place in Interlaken, the Grand Café Restaurant Schuh where you can watch a show at 17.00 every day. It costs 16chf which includes a 8chf voucher to spend in the shop or restaurant.

I don’t have experience of that chocolate show but I enjoyed the visits to both the cheese factories.

Hope this helps you out.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 3:25:46 #850439

That is some very useful and exact information.Will do one of the cheese factories, probably engelberg and the chocolate show and cafe.Thank you so much.

• The thread ‘Any cheese and chocolate factories around Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.