Any panorama train ride from Interlaken to Italy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 13:15:58 #809021

Hello all. Well, I’m now considering the Swiss Pass after all for my family of 6. However, wondering if there is a Panorama Train ride that starts around Interlaken and heads south towards Italy – as Rome will be our next destination…. Looking at options!

As a side note. I did try to look into the rides but never seemed to get good clear information as to how long the train ride is, etc. Everything I saw seemed to offer over night stays along the journey. I’m looking for a direct ride – a little longer is ok but no overnight layovers….

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 April 2016 at 15:16:22 #851273

Hi tmclaire,

All scenic trains can be done on your own; no need to book packages with overnight stays, unless you want to. Please find the most famous trains here.

I assume you will have a Swiss Travel Pass, not a Swiss Pass (as that’s for Swiss citizens only). A Swiss Travel Pass covers all trains in Switzerland. Some scenic trains require a seat reservation or surcharge. You’ll find details through the first link I gave you.

Two options:

• Interlaken to Spiez, local train via Kandersteg to Brig, train to Domodossola, Centovalli train to Locarno, train to Bellinzona and on to Italy.
    • Interlaken to Luzern via the Golden Pass line, then the Wilhelm Tell Express route and on to Italy.

All the schedules are in the timetable.

ssd1966
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 April 2016 at 17:34:47 #851274

I am staying in Spiez and intending to do the trip via Kandersteg to Brig but to then jump on the Glacier Express route to Filisur (South of Chur)

If you have time you could do this then stay over before getting the Bernina express route to Tirano where the Italian routes start

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 April 2016 at 17:40:52 #851275

Thanks for jumping in; that’s a very good suggestion. And if there’s no time for an overnight stay tmclaire can get off the Glacier Express (or local train on the same route) in Andermatt, take a train down to Göschenen, and from there to Italy. All the way to Filisur or St. Moritz is much better though.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2016 at 13:51:19 #851276

Hi TMClaire –

Adding to the other comments –

To get the scenic route from Interlaken Ost via Spiez to Brig, make sure that you do as others have noted. Route through Kandersteg on the local train named “Lötschberger.”. Use “Kandersteg” in the “via” box in the timetable. Otherwise you will see the faster , lower, new route through the new Lötschberg “basis” tunnel. The timetable defaults to the fastest route. As far as I know, there is no interesting scenery inside the tunnel.

As you go from Brig to Italy, the scenic Centovalli line from Domodossola to Locarno is a very nice ride.

However, you can also continue from Domodossola southward along the western side of the lakes, to MIlano, and thence to Rome. Faster, and that is what the timetable shows as a default. Less scenic.

The route via Luzern and the Wilhelm Tell excursion is scenic all the way. However, it does include a lake boat segment from Luzern to Flüelen. Great ride, not fast. A much less scenic option for that segment is to ride the train all the way from Luzern. You still get the Gotthard Pass transit which is spectacular.

You can consider these options by playing with the time table linked above by Arno.

Once you have selected a specific journey in the timetable, and expanded it by clicking on the “+”” sign beside it, you will find the option in the footnotes to display a map of the route.

Or, you may wish to use:

map.search.ch/

Enjoy the ride!

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Any panorama train ride from Interlaken to Italy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.