Tips for last minute Switzerland hotel deals

• Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    9 February 2019 at 17:27:28 #819848

I know these forums are largely Train itinerary focused. But last year, before discovering this forum, I took a ten day driving excursion from Lugano to the St. Moritz region and back solo. Driving through the Alps took some getting use to, but after a few days I was smitten, and am returning for a two week driving excursion in the second half of June, this time in and out of Zurich (coming from NYC). I know this is mostly between season and that a few hotels don’t even open for the summer season until late June, first of July. Because of wide availability of choices in this period, my itinerary is completely open to hopefully accommodate the best weather by region. I probably will book something a couple of days before arriving based on 3 or 4 day weather forecasts. But other than that, I am almost entirely open. It is incredible how many regions in the Swiss Alps are drivable from Zurich in 2.5 hours or less.

My question is do any of you have tips for finding good deals at the last minute by hotels trying to maximize occupancy. I’m mostly interested in the nicest lodging with balconies and views. I know about sites like Booking.com, TripAdvisor. and the hotel’s website. Are there any other tips you might be aware of to add to my last minute searches?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 17:09:13 #903846

Hi Maloja Snake,

Sorry, I don’t have any more tips really then just searching and keeping an eye on prices. It is hard to say what availability will be like and if booking now will net you a better rate than the day before (for example)

If you want to keep it as flexible as you say, I think the best thing to do is continually check the hotel site and sites like hotelscombined until you find the weather, date and price that works for you as you go. 🙂

Perhaps other members or moderators have other tips too!

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    10 February 2019 at 21:44:42 #903847

Thanks Lucas,

The hotelscombined website was not familiar to me and seems to have the widest selection of choices in villages that I am interested in. I will keep the forum apprised of the success of my strategy.

• The thread ‘Tips for last minute Switzerland hotel deals’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.