Appropriate swimwear in Switzerland for boys

• MELO
    Participant
    6 posts
    13 July 2022 at 17:32:28 #827766

Hi, this may seem like a funny question:

My teenaged boys wear typical American bathingsuits (longer swim trunks 5-7 inches, board shorts). In parts of Europe they have been scolded by pool staff who were in amazement that that they’d enter a pool like that, and have had to rent the european/Speedo style trunks to swim (much to their chagrin both for the rental and for the suits!!). In Switzerland, are swim trunks acceptable or should we expect the same, meaning I should buy them some european style swimwear before we go?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2022 at 17:45:43 #944278

Hi Melo,

yes, it has happened to us too, here in Switzerland.

In the lakes, they can bathe in their American-type bathing suits, but for the baths better to have the European-type ones. They do not need swim briefs, but some bath suites with shorter and narrower legs would be great. (I am not sure what they are called, maybe ‘Square leg swimsuit’?)

Perhaps there are baths where they do not care about it, but I cannot tell you which ones are those.

Ildiko

MELO
    Participant
    6 posts
    13 July 2022 at 17:59:22 #944279

That’s what I thought, I’m happy to have your response about this so we can be prepared. Thank you!

MELO
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 July 2022 at 17:45:28 #944280

Just an update for others as we conclude our 10 days in Switzerland! No European swimsuits were needed in the public pool in Wengen or elsewhere, most people especially young people wore swim trunks 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 July 2022 at 8:40:39 #944281

Thanks for your update MELO! I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2022 at 9:11:12 #944282

Hi Melo,

thank you for your update. It seems that pools and rules are improving then 🙂

I hope you had a great holiday. Please feel free to share your experiences with us in the trip report part of the forum. We would be happy to read about it.

Cheers,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Appropriate swimwear in Switzerland for boys’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.