Are Swiss roadside water taps safe to drink from?

• Senuduk
    Participant
    8 posts
    1 May 2023 at 10:17:44 #829734

Hello!

I have read that in Switzerland it is safe to drink water straight from the tap. I presume that’s referring to taps in hotels & restaurants. My question is whether it is also safe to drink straight from those roadside water troughs? It’s like a constantly flowing stream of water from a faucet into a carved out wooden log (a trough). I’m asking because it kinda looks like what cattle might drink from (no offence). I’ve seen it in YouTube travel logs of hikes around Lauterbrunnen/Murren/Wengen/Grindelwald which are the places where we will be exploring.

Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    1 May 2023 at 14:27:46 #953957

Hi Senuduk,

I spent 3 days in Wengen, and each morning when I set out for the day, I filled my two (saved/re-used) plastic bottles at the same carved out ‘trough’ to which you are referring, right up the hill from the train station. It was always cold and I had no problems what so ever (except, maybe, for keeping it cold). It is even encouraged, and as such, is potable. I did the same in Zermatt, right across from the church. So feel free to drink it. ( I wouldn’t necessarily scoop it out of the trough, rather, just fill it right from the spigot itself.) Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 May 2023 at 18:43:58 #953958

Hi Senuduk,

Water fountains or public drinking fountains can be found everywhere in Switzerland. The water is safe to drink unless otherwise indicated as Kein Trinkwasser (literally Not drinking water).

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2023 at 21:33:46 #953959

There are many drinking fountains in Switzerland with the water pouring into the trough below. Especially in villages and towns, the water from the ‘tap’ is usually drinkable as it often comes from springs etc. On more rural paths, there may be a few places where water comes out of a field stream – these may be more intended for animals than people – it is usually up to personal judgement for this type of water supply

Senuduk
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 May 2023 at 8:45:31 #953960

Thank you very much Danielsan, Anna & 1960man for your advice

• The thread ‘Are Swiss roadside water taps safe to drink from?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.