Are there free public toilets in Switzerland?

• HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    7 June 2022 at 15:19:09 #827439

I was last in Switzerland in 2018 and finding a public toilet was a problem- or at least a free one—they often required a coin.

Is this still the case? As with many people I often do not carry cash so I would like to plan ahead.

thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 15:30:07 #942998

Hi HeleneZ and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I believe that the public toilette situation hasn’t changed since 2018 in Switzerland.
    So yes, you can find public toilets but usually, they are for a small fee. Not in every case but I think it is better to be prepared.
    Guests of coffee places and restaurants can use their toilettes too, but only the guests.

Take care,
    Ildiko

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    7 June 2022 at 15:40:12 #942999

Thank you! Yes, I recall being ‘forced’ to consume a lot of ice-cream to be able to use the toilet!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 21:57:32 #943000

Switzerland has probably the cleanest public toilets in the world. Traditionally you have needed a 50 cent (1/2 franc) coin for most public toilets (we always make sure we have a stash!) That is still the same as far as I know

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    8 June 2022 at 1:58:27 #943001

We travelled by train and visited many attractions in May 2017. We used toilet in train and attractions. They were free and clean. We have not paid a single CHF for use of toilet. We were on budget and travelled 5 of us. So this was a useful hack for us

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    9 June 2022 at 7:28:41 #943002

When I was last in Switzerland (2018) I found that many stations had free (and generally exceedingly clean) toilets. I hope this still the case for my next trip in September.

This applied to large or intermediate-sized places such as Spiez, La Chaux de Fonds, Gstaad, Appenzell, Aigle, Kandersteg, Martigny and the RhB station in Tirano (Italy). Even some stations in small villages had a WC, immaculately kept – I remember Langwies on the Arosa branch, Filisur, and the much lamented, now closed, Leissigen and Dārligen near Interlaken. Larger stations sometimes made a charge – I think Buchs SG and perhaps Brig. By contrast, it cost one euro at Domodossola (Italy) and the place was disgusting.

In the UK, perhaps surprisingly, toilet charges at all major stations were dropped quite recently.

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 June 2022 at 12:53:53 #943003

Thanks to everyone for responding.

The reason I asked this was MY experience was NOT having a coin and being desperate in a Zurich station!

I will be prepared this time.

• The thread ‘Are there free public toilets in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.