ATM usage for Euros in Switzerland

• Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    30 May 2015 at 17:56:16 #807323

Is there any fee disadvantage or exchange rate disadvantage to getting Euros in Switzwerland from an ATM machine. Better to wait till I get to Italy to make a withdrawal of Euros? Doesn’t seem logical to expect a difference but thought I would ask. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2015 at 19:02:24 #843552

No data on Italy, and no recent data from Switzerland, but it used to be that the Swiss ATM and banks were all regulated on what conversion rates they could use. So, I always change my USD to CHF after I arrive, because the exchange rates are highway robbery at Travelex in the USA.

So, at first thought, I’d get my Euros in Switzerland if I were converting from CHF.

But,the second thought adds a puzzle.

If the funds have to go through a double conversion – that is, a first conversion to CHF from ( for example) USD or GBP. then a second conversion from CHF to Euros, before they spit out the money, that would be a double hit.

I don’t know how to find out ahead of time. If you do, please post.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2015 at 8:31:23 #843553

The Euro isn’t the currency of Switzerland, but it is Italy’s currency. To me it would make sense to get your money from an ATM in Italy, but I don’t know the rates. That will mainly depend on your bank and the exchange rate of the day to your own currency.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2015 at 9:28:28 #843554

However, most Swiss ATM’s -especially those of the larger banks – will give you funds in CHF or in Euros from whatever your funds source – which, in my case is a bank in the USA. Before all the fuss about banks and FATCA, it was CHF, because I maintained a modest Swiss “checking” account at Post Finanz. No more.

Since UBS, CS, etc., have large businesses in foreign curencies, I’d hope thatthey would give a “bank rate + 3% or so” for a conversion from USD to Euros, even if their ATM is in Switzeland.

I guess the only way to find out is to do some experiments. ;-(

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    31 May 2015 at 23:12:54 #843555

Slowdown, would sure like to know BEFORE I go? Hope someone will know. Thanks for your thoughts😃

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    31 May 2015 at 23:14:18 #843556

Darn correcting words..I meant Slowpoke!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 June 2015 at 0:28:59 #843557

<<” 26posts: active memberMay 31, 2015 – 11:12 PMin reply to SlowpokeSlowdown, would sure like to know BEFORE I go?”>>

So would I.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 June 2015 at 6:13:25 #843558

Fognorth, you can best check with your bank. They should be able to tell you the exact cost of withdrawing Euros from an ATM in either Switzerland or Italy. It’s probably on their website too. The only surprise you have left then is the exchange rate of the day.

• The thread ‘ATM usage for Euros in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.